Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help. New egg adjustment question

Options
Just got my new LBGE. They assembled and delivered free while I was at work.
I rolled her out and noticed they assembled the dome a few degrees off center (turned). The logo and dome thermo sit a few degrees to the right. It's not much but enough to notice and next to my other one which is dead on, it's noticeable.
I'll add a pick next.
Should I try to loosen the band and adjust? Is it tough to get back tight?

Or should I just not worry (see pic)?

Thx
Matt
Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting

Comments

• mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Options
    Pic
  • Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    That would bother me too. Should be pretty easy fix. I took the top off one time when I moved it. You can loosen just enough to rotate and then tighten right back up.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Trust me, the delivery and set-up was not free -that said, make the dealer get it right.  Given you have another one, then you have even more leverage-and if you bought this one from the same dealer then even more.  It's their problem to fix-not yours!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

He is correct. Ask them to do it right.

And then test the gasket seal in 3 or 4 locations with a few dollar bills.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    That would probably bother the hell out of me too, but I am also a practical man. Before adjusting it, I would give the gasket the dollar bill test and see what kind of seal you have. If you have a real tight fit with your gasket with even tension all around, then I might be tempted to leave it alone until you have to make some other kind of adjustment anyway. Also check for underbite or overbite. But if it was otherwise okay I might leave it alone rather than chance making a bad thing even worse.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    With the money you have invested in a quality product, I would certainly want it correct. Lets be honest, your going to have it for years to come and its always going to bother you.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    That would drive me nuts to have to look at that. I'd have the dealer come out and fix it. I know my dealer would if he did it.
  • mdozier
    Options
    Ok. Called and the dealer said no prob. They'll send someone out next week ( too late today).
    They also said I could try it myself if I wanted and they would still send someone in case I messed it up or had problems. Not to worry. They told me exactly what to do and the $bill test and said go ahead if I want.
    So I did.
    Loosened, lined her up and on the 2nd try I got good $bill seal all around. :)
    Opened and checked and it seems fine.
    Going to cook on her next and I still might have them check me next week.

Thx for the help.
    m
  • mdozier
    Options
    Oh yeah. Pic
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Remember to check the band bolts every few cooks. They sometimes will need to be tighten again due to the heat cycles when new.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • mdozier
    Options
    Thanks. Good call and will do
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

For the price and quality of the egg, absolutely unacceptable.

Have dealer do it right.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Just remember to keep your temp down on the first few cooks so that you gasket gets broken in properly.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • mdozier
    Options
    Hum. Hadn't thought about that. Headed to 275-300 for some bbg chicken breasts in bacon.
    You think that's okay?
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    yeah that will be fine. Just dont go above 475. Some will say dont worry but I have have seen newbies burn up the gasket when they get real hot for cooking steaks on their first go at it. They were at the 6-700 mark and the gasket didnt seal well and they had to replace it. By the way...welcome to the family! This is a great group of people with a lot of ideas and experience. One thing though...If there are no pics....It didnt happen. Best of luck, let me know how it turns out. And keep in touch.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • mdozier
    Options
    Thanks so much. :)
  • mdozier
    Options
    I'll try to post some cook pics later as we go
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    ok...we will be waiting. By the way, where are you in this great country of ours?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • mdozier
    Options
    If by country you mean the forum it's to learn.
    Or if you mean Country I was born, raised and live in the great state of Tennessee.

I do enjoy the forum and use it for recipes, tips and all things egg.
    For the first several years on my first egg I really only used it for the standards. I'm now trying to learn from you guys to expand well beyond into all the many wonders we can use these baby's to cook.
    m
  • mdozier
    Options
    Here's tonight's experiment. Chicken breasts rubbed w dizzy dust, wrapped in bacon over a pan of apple juice and fresh cherries w a bit of pecan smoke.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Easy fix. Would have done it myself too. Now it's fixed right.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Well....I am from the Great State of South Carolina...So Howdy neighbor! I have had my egg for About a year and it never has stopped amazing me. I love to cook and neve found ho,e until Ingot my xlbge. I cook every weeked and try to cook one night during the week. This forum has been a huge help and provide a large quantity of comic relief, and friendship.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • mdozier
    Options
    Not to be a heretic but I also have a 12yr old TEC infrared from your great state and I love it as well.
    We use the egg most every weekend and when there's time occasionally during the week (but that'll be more I hope) and the TEC gets used about 3 nights a week.
    You're right, this is a great place for learning and entertainment.
  • mdozier
    Options
    Really tasty stuff. Bacon wrapped dizzy dusted breasts over apple juice w cherries and a dab of BBQ sauce for the last 10 min.
    Oops double post. Sorry