Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

injected pork shoulder

Options
 Yesterday July 4th I tried something new I injected my pork shoulder with apple juice and I also put a gallon of apple juice in the drip pan ,I had two shoulders in the egg they came out INSANE I would recommend  this my only problem was it took almost 23hrs  for the pork to reach 185 degrees im not sure if this is because I had 2 shoulders in the egg or because I had all the apple juice in the drip pan or a combo of both 
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I cooked many excellent butts over the years without injection.

Discussion on this forum prompted me to try it - I will always inject from now on.   I am sold on it.

Did you inject with pure apple juice?    I have been using a mixture of strained Italian salad dress and Louisiana hot sauce.

Cookin in Texas
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I used pure apple juice ,I like you have made many pork shoulders & butts in the past with out but I think im sold that thats the way to go 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I usually use the Chris Lilly injection for pork shoulders, which is mostly apple juice and a handful of other ingredients.  Good stuff.

I'm smoking some picnics tonight or tomorrow.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    I used Myron Mixon's injection from Smokin' on the 4th and it turned out great.  Mostly AJ with a little cider vin salt and sugar.  Yummo 
    MBGE in Charleston

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    As long as it came out awesome and you are happy ... that's all that matters. 23 hours seems long for two average sized butts though.  Are you sure your therm is accurate?  Maybe you were actually cooking at a lower temp than you thought.  Just my initial thought.   A gallon of juice in the pan is a lot, but i think it would come up to temp with in a reasonable time frame.
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    Options

I usually use the Chris Lilly injection for pork shoulders, which is mostly apple juice and a handful of other ingredients.  Good stuff.

I cooked 24 lbs of butt wed/Thur using Chris Lilly injection. I will always inject, the flavor it adds through the meat is worth it.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options

I cooked 24 lbs of butt wed/Thur using Chris Lilly injection. I will always inject, the flavor it adds through the meat is worth it.
    +1 to both of the above comments.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I use chicken stock with Yardbird rub mixed together for our competition pork. That's done very well for me.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    @Charlesmaneri the gallon of apple juice in the drip pan is what caused the longer cooking time.
  • brewcityegger
    Options
    I threw some on today that were injected with 2 parts beer and one part cider vinegar.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    So, what is the recipe for Chris lily injection?