Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Older XL?

I think this is an older xl that I am picking up tomorrow. I think the dome is shorter, that I am certain of. I am wondering if the body, fire box, and fire ring are any different than the newer one. Does anyone know? (Hopefully the pic posts, never attached one from my phone..)

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2013

Three or four years ago they lowered the firebox about an inch and reduced the fire ring by an inch.  I think they shortened the plate setter as well.  Even with all these mods, I still have a tough time getting the lids closed with two turkeys side by side.

Please measure the insides of your new XL and post with pictures.  I just swapped out my XL firebox--has a crack in it, but still works.  You can have it for the shipping cost if you want to experiment.

BTW, take a look at Kamado Joe's version of the XL......the dome is much more squared off at the top.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188

Three or four years ago they lowered the firebox about an inch and reduced the fire ring by an inch.  I think they shortened the plate setter as well.  Even with all these mods, I still have a tough time getting the lids closed with two turkeys side by side.

Please measure the insides of your new XL and post with pictures.  I just swapped out my XL firebox--has a crack in it, but still works.  You can have it for the shipping cost if you want to experiment.

BTW, take a look at Kamado Joe's version of the XL......the dome is much more squared off at the top.

stl, thanks for the offer, that is very kind of you.  I would love to take you up on that.  I will send you a private message to work out the details.  So it sounds like the base is the only component that might be the same?
  • stlcharcoal
    stl, thanks for the offer, that is very kind of you.  I would love to take you up on that.  I will send you a private message to work out the details.  So it sounds like the base is the only component that might be the same?

I think so.....

I know there was a way to tell the different fire rings by the recessed areas.  6 recessed cuts vs. 3 recessed cuts seems to stick in my mind????

Anyone else have an older XL?  Mine was purchased in July 2010, so I'm not sure where mine fell in the mix.  I had the dome replaced last summer due to cracking; and just recently, the firebox.

I'll start measuring tomorrow.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The taller dome appears to have been introduced sometime in 2009. At that time, they also reduced the firebox height by 1" and changed the fire ring from having 6 dimples on top to 3 slots for a platesetter to sit in. There was also a change with the platesetter from having really short legs to the current one. New plate setters don't fit very well on the old firebox/fire ring (the PS legs are longer and some reported issues closing their domes and either replaced their fire rings or cut the slots into their fire ring.)

The Ceramic Grill Store has some info on the changes and how to tell what you have: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/original-flip-ring-a-hangar.html
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cookingdude555

Thanks R2Egg2Q.  I guess I will have to wait to see what I am getting.  Pick up date has now been moved to Tuesday  ...

Do I remember you from the brethren site, didn't you have a WSM painted like R2?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Yup, like you I'm Brethren! Only I have a R2 cooler about the size of a WSM and a UDS painted like Darth Maul.

Good luck on the XL purchase.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cookingdude555
    A darth maul UDS?  My son would love that!
  • cookingdude555
    It's the egg, wing tables, and nest. I agreed to pay $500. He says he used it 3 times. Seemed like a nice guy on the phone. He already deleted the ad, which was a worry of mine since I am not going to get it until Tuesday.
  • cookingdude555

I may have to be creative for accessories, but I am mainly after more grid room.  I still have the large with the AR and woo and such, but I am interested in not going vertical anymore.

My biggest concern now is if I can drive my old 95 accord up to get it.  Anyone ever put their XL in a mid size sedan?  I am planning on taking the dome off, and all of the innards taken out as well for transport.

• stlcharcoal

The circa-2010 cracked firebox I pulled out of my XL is 8.5" deep.

I haven't had a chance to measure the other components, but will post when I do.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I know that my 1983 Accord hatchback held 5 kegs.... but that probably doesn't help you...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• stlcharcoal

I can fit 10 bags of charcoal in the DeLorean.  Not the little ones either.....20#'ers!

I've strapped the medium BGE into the passenger seat too.  The gullwing doors and 6" ground clearance make it easy to load and unload.

• Strange. I would have thought the Flux Capacitor would be in the way. Hmmmm...
    Flint, Michigan