Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back and St. Louis Rib test on 4th (pics)

JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
edited July 2013 in Pork
I decided to try Baby Backs and St.louis ribs with different rubs and methods. I had 3 racks of each and 3 different rubs, Dizzy Dust, Swamp Venom and Old Bay. I did one St. Louis and 1 Baby Back of each rub and put them on the Egg in a rib rack with temp. at 260, I did wrap the ends of the ribs with foil for the first hour so not to overcook the ends hanging over the platesetter. I did have a foil pan with spacers. I smoked them with Cherry wood for for 3 hours then I wrapped the Dizzy dust and Old Bay Ribs with foil and left the Swamp Venom's unwrapped, I removed the foil after 1 hour and left them all on for another hour for a total of 5 hours. There were 8 of us and I had 8 different opinions of what was best. Some liked the St. Louis that were wrapped, SWMBO liked the Baby Backs with Dizzy Dust that were wrapped, one friend liked the Old Bay rub but most of us thought it was just kind of plain, I won't be doing that again too many better rubs. All the ribs were fantastic but I thought the unwrapped were best as the meat was a little firmer but I couldn't decide if I like the Baby Backs or St. Louis better I also thought the Swamp Venom rub was the best but I like everything with a kick, the Dizzy Dust did have a very good flavor and I think I would use Dizzy Dust over Swamp Venom for a mixed crowd. I also smoked some Bushes Baked Beans with brown sugar, worcestershire, FB's cajun rub, sweet baby rays, mustard, ketchup, honey, apple cider vinegar, garlic, a little bacon grease in the dutch oven and smoked on a different egg with hickory. my Buddy John made a blackberry cobbler with fresh berries picked in the woods by his house. Everything was great and we were all stuffed. The one thing everybody noticed was how good and different the smell was from the Egg with the Cherry wood as I usually use hickory with pork, a much sweeter smell. 

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments