Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatball was amazing, any recipes out there??

The wife, myself and friend of ours went to this Italian restaurant my wife sells booze to and had dinner last night. Ordered a couple of meatballs for an app it was crazy delicious. Does anyone have a good recipe to try, on the Egg of course. Search is not an option on my iPhone. Thanks

Comments

• bcran
    bcran Posts: 37
    Don't have anything to offer, but I'm in for the responses!
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    This thing was about the size of a baseball and was out of this world. Prob some 150yr old family recipe
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2013
    We just ate in Napa and had the best meatball I've ever even heard of. TFJ came home and knocked it out pretty well. I'll see if I can talk her into posting it. This thing melted in your mouth. I didn't even know meatballs like this even existed. We ordered another order to go. Hers were a very close replica if not just as good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Ate at this place while on vacation in Florida and the meatball was amazing!

http://www.thegarlic.net/menu.html

Bocce Ball
    oven roasted 16 ounce filet mignon meatball served with marinara sauce topped with shaved parmesan cheese and served with linguini 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Lowflyer

We just ate in Napa and had the best meatball I've ever even heard of. TFJ came home and knocked it out pretty well. I'll see if I can talk her into posting it. This thing melted in your mouth. I didn't even know meatballs like this even existed. We ordered another order to go. Her's were a very close replica if not just as good.

My wife and I were like "I could eat 4 more of those things" and that was after the veal and cannoli.
    If you can get that recipe that would be GREAT!!! Thanks

• Lowflyer
    YEMTrey said:

Ate at this place while on vacation in Florida and the meatball was amazing!

http://www.thegarlic.net/menu.html

Bocce Ball
    oven
    roasted 16 ounce filet mignon meatball served with marinara sauce
    topped with shaved parmesan cheese and served with linguini 

New Smyrna Beach?? Eaten there several times, never had a meatball tho. Thanks

• Lowflyer
    I shoulda read the link first. That place is great, cool atmosphere too.
  • Lowflyer said:
    We just ate in Napa and had the best meatball I've ever even heard of. TFJ came home and knocked it out pretty well. I'll see if I can talk her into posting it. This thing melted in your mouth. I didn't even know meatballs like this even existed. We ordered another order to go. Her's were a very close replica if not just as good.

My wife and I were like "I could eat 4 more of those things" and that was after the veal and cannoli. If you can get that recipe that would be GREAT!!! Thanks
    she said yes. She's doing it now and will post it.

• Lowflyer
    Great, thanks. Maybe give it a shot over the weekend.
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Girl_on_Grill Posts: 71
    edited July 2013
    This is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated, with a few changes I made to try and duplicate the meatballs we recently had at Redd Wood in Napa Valley. This recipe makes 40 - 2 oz meatballs, but can easily be reduced. I made 1/2 and froze the rest.

Meatballs
    2 ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
    1 ½ cups Buttermilk
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1 lb each:  ground sirloin, ground veal, ground spicy Italian sausage
    6 oz Genoa Salami, chopped fine
    3 oz grated parmesan
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    3 Tbsp Italian parsley, chopped fine
    3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped fine
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine the breadcrumbs and the buttermilk, stir & set aside for a few minutes.
    When the breadcrumb mixture is soft & mushy, combine all ingredients and separate into 2 oz balls. Handle the meat very gently. Like hamburgers, they get really tough if you compress them too much.

Place the meatballs on a grill rack and roast at 450 degrees until brown (about 30 min).If you don't have the adjustable rig for the Egg, you'll want to make a half batch or do half in the oven. 

*If you are doing this in the oven, place meatballs on wire racks over foil lined baking sheets & rotate ½ way through cooking*

In a dutch oven, gently place meatballs in your favorite sauce and braise at 300 degrees for 1 hour.

I hope this works out for you. I had to try and make these after our last trip. This was my first attempt, but I was very happy with the results.

CenTex said I should share the sauce recipe, too. Most people already have a favorite, but here's mine:

Sauce (makes enough for 20 meatballs)
    1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Medium Yellow Onion, Grated
    3 Large Garlic Cloves, Crushed & Chopped
    2 Tbsp Fennel Seed, Crushed and Chopped
    187 ml (3/4 cup) Dry White Wine
    2 28 oz Cans Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes
    7 oz Jar Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste
    2 Cups Water
    2 Bay Leaves
    2 tsp Sea Salt
    1 tsp Pepper
    1 or 2 Chunks Parmesan Rind
    1/2 Cup Packed Basil Leaves, Chopped

Directions
    In large dutch oven, heat oil on medium, add onion, garlic & fennel and cook until translucent & lightly roasted, stirring frequently. Do not burn, or garlic will be bitter -  reduce heat if needed (roughly 10 minutes).

Add wine and reduce until onions are caramelized.

Add remaining ingredients except basil.

Bring to a low boil, cover, and place in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour.
    Add basil, remove parmesan rind & serve. Whoever finds the bay leaf must kiss the chef.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    meatballs.  Cornerstone of every romantic evening.

• Lowflyer
    Thank you to both of you. Def will get the wife involved and give these a try. Thanks again for posting!!
  • Lowflyer
    For anyone interested, the restaurant we went to was in Roswell, Ga. Name of it is Amalfi, south of the square on the right. Small little family owned joint.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Thanks for the share. This sounds fantastic.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks for the recipe @girl_on_grill! Will be trying this soon.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    edited July 2013
    Gonna have to do me some meatballs up now!
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Trying this tomorrow! Is this enough to feed 5 adults and 2 kids?

Should I put any wood chips? Nibblemethis seems to say no: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/08/wolfgang-pucks-special-spaghetti-and.html

Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg said:
    Trying this tomorrow! Is this enough to feed 5 adults and 2 kids?

Should I put any wood chips? Nibblemethis seems to say no: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/08/wolfgang-pucks-special-spaghetti-and.html

we did them totally inside so this was not an egg recipe for us. just going to have to play with it and see what you like. 

• Bjorg
    edited July 2013
    Yeah my guess is no smoke. I think I need to do x1.5 to feed all these people though, what do you think?

Unless I do this on a bed of pasta, then I am probably good
    Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    Also curious why so much water in the sauce if you cover it for an hour? 

Cant wait to try this tonight. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    That recipe was awesome and worth cooking! Thank you for that, 
    Quebec - Canada