Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Big Green Hello! (And my first pizza on the Egg!)

Options
mickstephen
mickstephen Posts: 63
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Greetings, Eggers! I've had an egg for a few years now, but up to this point, I've really only used it for grilling. Now I'm expanding my horizons and getting into smoking, baking, and some other stuff on my LBGE. I'm hoping to learn from the Egg veterans here, and I've already learned quite a bit just by reading what you guys have posted. 

So I started with a pizza…

After reading up on the various baking stone options, I called up CB Hardware north of Austin and picked up a BGE pizza stone for my egg. I set up the Egg with my PS legs-down, the three green ceramic feet on the PS, and the pizza stone on the feet for some air flow underneath. I lit the egg with (sadly mediocre) Stubb's charcoal, let it heat up to around 550, and held it there for about 40 minutes. 

I used a whole wheat dough ball I picked up from Whole Foods, stretching it out a bit, and adding white truffle oil, salt/pepper, some organic pizza sauce, shredded basil, fresh mozzarella, and crumbled pepper pork sausage. A little parchment paper on the peel, a little cornmeal on top of that, and a pizza slid off onto my Egg for the first time. 

I cooked it for about three minutes at 525 or so, pulled the parchment, rotated the pie, and cooked it for another seven or eight minutes. 

Here's the result…

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    That looks outstanding. How do you like the Whole Foods dough? When I nuy mine, I usually get from Trader Joes.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • mickstephen
    Options
    For whole wheat dough, I thought it was pretty amazing. I've had a lot of WW dough that tasted like cardboard and had about the same texture. But the Whole Foods stuff is the best store-bought dough I've tried. 

My next pies will be made with either Home Slice Dough or Mandola's Market Dough. :D
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome @mickstephen, the big pie guy!
    We always shred the cheese, someday must try the sliced chunk route. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You made it. That was fast. Welcome aboard
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    That's a great looking pie.
  • mickstephen
    Options
    mb99zz said:
    That's a great looking pie.
    Hey, thanks! I left the outer crust a bit bigger than normal, since this was the first time working with the Whole Foods dough. Tasty stuff!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    You nailed it dude. :-c

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice cook I find whole foods dough questionable, won't eat it. Next step homemade and you will see the difference.
    Seattle, WA
  • mickstephen
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Nice cook I find whole foods dough questionable, won't eat it. Next step homemade and you will see the difference.
    Believe me, I've done my share of homemade dough. Only downside is the absolute train wreck I create in the kitchen. I have moral and ethical issues with making my wife clean that up. :D
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Nice pizza for the first time out.  Like many other things cooked on the BGE you'll find you become a little obsessed trying to better your previous attempt at cooking something.  Good luck with more pizzas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Not a fan of WF dough. Cooks different every time (depends on how long they proof it).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welcome to the forum-and as you are sorting out-the BGE can create most any cooking environment.  Great pizza cook-no turning back now :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Not a fan of WF dough. Cooks different every time (depends on how long they proof it).

Just realized that looked a little rude. Was doing too many things at once. I do use their dough from time to time and was pointing out I find it hit and miss depending how long it sits around the shop. I've done great pies like yours with it at times as well. Just find its Its consistent and I burn some or under do some at times.
  • mickstephen
    Options

Just realized that looked a little rude. Was doing too many things at once. I do use their dough from time to time and was pointing out I find it hit and miss depending how long it sits around the shop. I've done great pies like yours with it at times as well. Just find its Its consistent and I burn some or under do some at times.
    No worries, amigo! I totally understand where you're coming from. I actually made it a point to ask the bakery, and they said the dough was fresh that morning.