Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoky portabella barleysagna

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
I love lasagna as much as the next guy but wanted one with pasta that had some kick back. I’m a huge fan of barley, love its texture & resiliency so I figured it might have potential as a substitute for pasta if it could be formed into lasagna sheets in its natural intact form. This was the first experiment:

Begin with a one cup batch, cook it down till sludge-like then spread it out on a plastic wrap lined cookie sheet to a uniform thickness, then another sheet on top with some weight (I used a 5lb bag of rice). Into the fridge to set up (plan being that the starch would cement it all together to form a workable sheet).

The next day: removed the plastic wrap & sliced the barley sheets to fit the Pyrex dish:

So far so good, it held together. Here’s a small section trimmed off the side:

Meanwhile, grill some portabella mushrooms with some cherry smoke:

To the dish add whole milk ricotta that has been sufficiently flogged with air, locatelli, salt & pepper:

Then add the smoky sliced mushrooms:

Then the second sheet of ‘pasta’:

Top off with some mozzarella, olive oil, & herbs:

Back onto the cooker:

I baked this for about 30 minutes, around 350, just to get everything welded together & add a nice hint of smoke:

Sliced down:

On some simple sauce:

It was so good I hadda go in for a second:

This was tasty as hell & no harder or easier than making it with traditional lasagna sheets. It accomplished the desired effect, a texture difference between the pasta & the other ingredients. Probably has some health benefits as well over the alternative
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments