Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What happened??? Brisket Overdone.

Options
fatw
fatw Posts: 7
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
First packer cut brisket. 11lbs+. Put it on at 10:30 last night expecting 12-15 hours. Smoked at 240-250. Checked the Egg temp (did not check the brisket temp) at 11pm, 1am, 3am, and 5am. All good. Woke up at 6:30 and inserted the meet thermometer - 207 degrees!!! Looks like its ruined. What the heck happened?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Why do you think it's ruined?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Sorry to hear that @fatw. You can't do a brisket (really almost any cook) without monitoring the internal temp of the meat. Unfortunately, you've had to learn the hard way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I have cooked some over 207IT. Why do you think it is ruined. Some are done in 190s some may go to 210. In my experience, every one is slightly different. Also, check the temp in more than one place.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fatw
    Options
    Thanks guys. Maybe it's not ruined - though at best the brisket I had planned for dinner at 5ish tonight is ready for breakfast. It's wrapped in foil/towels in a cooler right now. What's the best way to tell if its ok or if I need to start working on a plan b for dinner?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its probably not ruined, but may have gone beyond its sweet spot. I'd suppose just a touch drier than desirable. I'd add a little of Stubb's original sauce to compensate. Or, take a 1/4 cup of good beef broth, heat, and dissolve a packet of gelatin in it. Add another 1/4 cup, and brush the slices.
  • fatw
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Agree Texan. Should have had the temp probe in. Just never imagined it would be ready that soon.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I agree with Travis. It's probably not ruined. You will have to heat it back up a touch later.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• fatw
    edited July 2013
    Options
    How did it cook so quickly? Does at surprise you guys? BGE site says 8-14 lb packer cut will take 14-18 hrs.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I've got a ~13lb-er on right now, only 10 hrs in at 250 grate and its at 187. I think it is going to be done 3-4 hrs earlier than planned, so you're not alone. That's BBQ I guess!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Did you calibrate your thermometer? Maybe it was cooking hotter than you thought.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    fatw said:
    How did it cook so quickly? Does at surprise you guys? BGE site says 8-14 lb packer cut will take 14-18 hrs.
    Just have a look at any of the dozen or so threads in the last day or two that talk about "fast" cooking briskets. It's not just you. Maybe it's somehow related to global warming?  :-?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

#1   Its not ruined. 

#2   There may be some places that are cooked more than you desire, dig around, I bet you can find a quantity of meat that is not as done.

#3   For those areas that are a bit more done, chop well, mix in sauce and have sandwiches.

Cookin in Texas
  • fatw
    Options
    Thanks boatbum. Any suggestions on how to have it warm for dinner 8 hrs from now?
  • fatw
    Options
    Just cut into it. It's actually pretty good. Putting it in the fridge bc dinner is not for 7 hrs. What's the best way to re-heat later?
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options

fatw said:
    Just cut into it. It's actually pretty good. Putting it in the fridge bc dinner is not for 7 hrs. What's the best way to re-heat later?
    I would vacuum pack it in slices and put the unopened packs in boiling water to reheat.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I have put in a pan, with some beef broth, seal tightly with foil and warm up in a 300 degree oven.  
    Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    More towels. It will stay hot for dinner. Do not slice it. It will be fine and 207 is just fine. My guess is you were measuring in the point. I bet it's perfect.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fatw
    Options
    Thx Cen Tex. I'll remember that for next time. Didn't know how long it will last, so I put it in the fridge to be safe. I think I'll reheat whole, in the foil on the Egg and then slice.