Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Calibrating

I tried to calibrate the dome therm for my new Egg-first time. I set some water on the stove to boil and walked away. I cam back and it was boiling pretty good. Held the end of the dome therm in and it shot up to around 235-240. I was expecting closer to 212, so to check I put the thermapen in and sure enough, 238. So, was it just hotter because it was past the initial boiling point? Do you calibrate a thermapen? I should note that I'm in Bloomington, IN at about 700 ft elevation, not in the mountains, so that can't be it. It has been damn humid and in the 70s around here, and our A/C has been turned off so those conditions are at the stove too.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments