Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sad day in America

A pastor friend of mine got home Thursday night to find that his BGE was gone from his deck. Someone stole it while he was away.
Had to be at least 2 low life's to carry a Large off a deck.

LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
·

Comments

• Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    That's a fear of mine too. We are the beach for a couple weeks, and I hope the large is still there when we get back! I can keep a close eye on the mini while here. I think anyone caught for stealing a BGE should get the death penalty ;)
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    I pill mine into the cave when gone for an extended period of time.... Hate that it happened. Maybe the congregation could surprise him with a new one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 218
    Wouldn't his home owner's insurance cover it? Ours does.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
    ·
  • Mud PigMud Pig Posts: 459
    Geez, that stinks. I guess that is one argument for getting an XL BGE. There is no way it can be stolen with how much it weighs.

Didn't any of his neighbors notice?
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,449
    henapple said:
    I pill mine into the cave when gone for an extended period of time.... Hate that it happened. Maybe the congregation could surprise him with a new one.
    Can we get 70-80 people to put up 10 bucks each?
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    He said his insurance would replace it but he's a little afraid of putting another one out there right now.

I'm thinking of chaining my table to my deck posts. Wont stop a determined thief but it may slow them down.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    Was it in a table?
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 411
    Sad indeed...

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,583
    That just blows. Did the thieves know what they were stealing? Seems like it would not be something thieves would want - its big, heavy, kinda fragile, and which appeals to a select few (in terms of getting rid of it for cash). Senseless. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 462
    They just wanna smoke their Government cheese.  The world owns too many a-holes. 

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    henapple said:
    Was it in a table?
    Just in a nest
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,063
    henapple said:
    Can we get 70-80 people to put up 10 bucks each?

Hey my medium got stolen. Can we chip in to buy me a new one too???????????

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·
  • This sucks.  Sorry, guys. 

When I bought my Large Egg, I asked the guy "got any good ways to keep this chained up somehow so it doesn't get stolen?"  He looked at me like I had told him his parents were aliens.  Said it was way to heavy, nobody would even try.  Now to hear this makes me paranoid again. 

It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,894
    What low-lifes.  I would be watching Craig's List.  No way they have any intention of using.
    Louisville
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 602
    I am sorry to hear that happened. I just glad my neighborhood looks out for each other and is well armed.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • TurtleCreekTurtleCreek Posts: 140
    edited July 2013

This sucks.  Sorry, guys. 

When I bought my Large Egg, I asked the guy "got any good ways to keep this chained up somehow so it doesn't get stolen?"  He looked at me like I had told him his parents were aliens.  Said it was way to heavy, nobody would even try.  Now to hear this makes me paranoid again. 

I remember this thread with a picture of a mini at a tailgate:
    anti-theft800x600.jpg
    padlocked it to the tow hitch ... could do the same to a deck post.  Wouldn't stop a fully determined thug, but may deter a lazy one.
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    If someone tries to steal my xl they better like the taste of lead as much as they like BBQ. Gotta be desperate to steal 205lbs
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • double said:
    If someone tries to steal my xl they better like the taste of lead as much as they like BBQ. Gotta be desperate to steal 205lbs
    For those of you with shotgun security, try rock salt.  It may not kill 'em, but it will hurt bad and perhaps the salt will bounce off the egg!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,452
    Not good, not good at all. 
    Given the used prices and ease to "move" these things on Craigslist, I'm surprised we don't hear about more being stolen. Got to be just as easy to fence as a big screen TV and they are in demand. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,782
    thankfully thieves are deterred from stealing my egg by my 2 dogs, but if I did not have them I'd be concerned.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,949
    TurtleCreek said:  I remember this thread with a picture of a mini at a tailgate:
    anti-theft800x600.jpg
    padlocked it to the tow hitch ... could do the same to a deck post.  Wouldn't stop a fully determined thug, but may deter a lazy one.
    I immediately thought of that movie with Chevy Chase...   ;))

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    I'd wait for my neighbors to leave home and immediately break into their garage...
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,391
    Sorry that happend. I catch myself checking my backyard multiple times a day. So far so hood, on long time away I'll move the mini to the garage.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,806
    I was really paranoid when we got our first egg.  But I have cameras up all over, and ferocious attack cats positioned strategically.   Say hello to my little friend.... ;)

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,452
    henapple said:
    I'd wait for my neighbors to leave home and immediately break into their garage...
    You'd think by now they would just leave you a key and save having to repair the break-in damage...
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    That's just sad.  Humanity never ceases to disappoint, does it?   We may need to do a Lo-Jack group buy. 
    ·
  • StreetgliderStreetglider Posts: 103
    That sucks, hoping they get caught and your pastor gets his egg back. Lowlife dirty words.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 281
    Douchebags probably went right to Wally World and stole some briquettes and lighter fluid! Idiots!!! If somebody sets it up, I am in for ten bucks!
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 593
    If anyone messes with my egg, they will have to tend with Mr. Flynnbob and his close friends Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson and their friends.  Damn,  This pic looks like a good Avatar - Goodbye Mr Pizza face!
    Milton, GA.
    ·