Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will this work

Options
Got 30 lbs of butts on my Large, couldn't get the grill extender high enough so I just piled them up. 3 on the bottom and one on top.
Will this work or will I need to rotate them throughout the day?
LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I would probably rotate them and expect a longer cook time than if they weren't touching.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Good luck with that, as noted it will take longer than if they were not touching. And you might have to empty the spooge pan, that is a lot of butt!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Yes it will work but you certainly will need to rotate, I would think also that it'll take longer.  Looks cool.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm hoping as they cook down I can rearrange with all 4 on the grid. I'll check the pan when I move them.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Could you maybe push chopsticks or some kind of skewers into the bottom three, pointing up, to support the top piece?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Options
    What I've done before is use the extender on top to stack.Even though the extender was basically laying on the lower meat it helped get some air gap. As they cook down you may be able to set the extender up to then get separation. It still takes longer.
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    Options
    I have done several cooks like this. The last one was 35 pounds worth on my large. I don't deviate from my normal method or rotate and they have all come out great. The only thing that is different is that my dome thermometer is pretty much useless.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I've bought a few copper pieces at Lowe's that add a little extra height to the extender to do this.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    That's an all day project, maybe well into evening.  I would closely monitor meat temps and cooking temp.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I've got enough adult beverages to last as long as it takes. I put it on at 6:30 this morning, going to rotate in a few minutes. I'm fine if it takes into tonight. I'm going to pull it, food saver, and take it to the beach for family reunion.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Seems to be going well IT seems same in all 4, I've rotated them several times. A small piece fell off while I was rotating and tasted great. Hoping to take them off and FTC around 7:00
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

@SmokinDAWG82-great undertaking-you will a hero at the reunion. 

Curious-what dome temp are you running to get them finished in about 12 hours?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I'm between 275 - 300 Dome, it's been 11.5 hrs and my IT is at 190, probably FTC at about 7:00 if everything goes right. It's pouring rain right now so I'm going to let them go until it slacks off some
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    It's Pork Mountain!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yikes!!!!!

But its doable , more effort in moving them around during the cook.
    Seattle, WA
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Options
    Update?
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Pulled 2 at 6:45 and the other 2 at 7:30 Came out great. Rotating was a little annoying. I probably won't do more than 3 on my large from here on. My brother said I needed to go ahead and buy an XL. All pulled and food savered. Will post a pic in a bit. I must say that rotating was a definite requirement. Not a bad day by any means
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @SmokinDAWG82 Great Cook and thanks for the temp info.  Now enjoy at the reunion!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I've several cooks with 4 butts. I put them on bone side down, so they areall on the grate.