Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally....joined the cult!!

Good morning all!  I finally got on board and bought my first Large BGE this week.  I seasoned it with a long fire yesterday and plan to do a pork loin and small flat brisket today to break it in.

Any advice that you guys can give me to get going correctly would be appreciated (ie-temp control, etc).

Looking forward to many great cooks and sharing ideas with you guys!

Comments

• Sherriff
    Sherriff Posts: 31

Welcome and congratulations on the BGE purchase.  You won't regret it.  I am new recently as well.  My first cook was 2 8lb pork butts.  Turned out great.  Get the recipes here and get all the info you needs.  I picked up the BBQ Guru DigiQ  and it is simply amazing at keeping my temps for a long 12 plus hour cook.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sherriff

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Welcome! This site is a great resource for just about anything you could need to enjoy success with the Egg. If its not here there are links provided to a wealth of knowledge and experience. Enjoy the journey and the commroderie of the eggsperience.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome to the lifestyle @Texag00. Always good to have another Texan on board; even if you are an Aggie!

My advice is to just relax and enjoy using your egg. I have no idea what sort of cooking experience you have but, generally speaking, using the egg is not that difficult. Use this forum to help when you need it and don't hesitate to ask anything!

And remember, if you don't post pics it never happened!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome- for the small flat give the "travis method" a go.  Works really well for small flats that can tend to dry out if not careful. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome and wow starting with a tough first cook IMO. If you do it right and use this forum I am sure you will be hooked.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Welcome,

I never really thought of it as a cult.

I keep telling the wife it's a journey!!

With many stops on the way.......

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Texag00
    Texag00 Posts: 14
    Thx for the welcome all! Well, got the egg stabilized at 275 and meet is on. I'll let you know how it goes
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    +1 on the Travis method for a small flat. Here's a link to the post http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1 As for tips, my best tip to new users is to be patient and make sure you give it time to heat up before you put your meat on. Let it burn off the bad stuff for 20 minutes or so so you get good smoke. Otherwise, just start cooking. And pics are key for the site. Welcome!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard-it's a game-changer.  And as previously mentioned-ask away when you have questions.  You will always get answers-degree of confidence in the info provided can vary :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Welcome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rockosteel
    Rockosteel Posts: 44
    Welcome ... The egg has changed my attitude about grillin'....hope you enjoy as much as I have/will
    Charlotte, nc
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome... Get ready to

Meet weird guts in back alleys for lump deals
    Have an affair with your butcher to get better prices
    Contact AA... They'll know you're coming soon when they find out you bought an egg
    By a Steven Spielberg approved camera
    Travel far distances to eggfests
    Unemployment.. Gotta cook and stay on the forum
    Buy every accessory made and make your own
    Go to Walmart and buy stretchy pants
    Makes up for loss of job selling food off the egg

Be happier than ever
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Texag00
    Here u go....first shot at bacon wrapped pork loin and small/flat brisket. Great moisture and flavor on both....tried the Travis method on brisket....great flavor but different than traditional brisket....jury still out.
  • Texag00
    Bacon wrapped loin