Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Screen Porch Egg Question

We're remodeling and one of my objectives is to move my Egg from the garage/driveway to an area near the screen porch.  I'm interested in hearing thoughts on Egg placement on a screen porch (700 degrees beneath a wooden roof scares me) or adjacent to a screen porch.  Should an 8' roof overhead (even if outside the screen) give me reason to worry or am I good to go?

Please, tell all.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mine has been on my porch for a few years. No problems here. Eventually moving mine onto a patio but can't afford right now
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mine too.  Effluent is probably no hotter than 150F by the time it hits the roof.
    It will leave black soot, but I have no fear of fire.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I've had mine on the front porch of my log cabin for the whole year I've owned it.  I'm lucky there is usually some type of breeze to whisk away the smoke.  If you're concerned about fire, buy one of those grilling mats that they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Still rolling out my nest into the front driveway. I meet more neighbors that way, especially when I'm 3/4 ways into the red wine bottle!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    texbagger said:

Still rolling out my nest into the front driveway. I meet more neighbors that way, especially when I'm 3/4 ways into the red wine bottle!

Man, pounding red wine outside in TX (assumption based on handle) heat is aggressive, but not too aggressive if only 3/4 a bottle.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Chubbs said:
    Man, pounding red wine outside in TX (assumption based on handle) heat is aggressive, but not too aggressive if only 3/4 a bottle.
    Chubbs, you making assumptions again.  This is an international forum.

My concern would not be the heat - rather the smoke.   I have an outdoor kitchen under an extended roof, right outside the inside kitchen.   I chose to place the Egg some distance away because of smoke.   Worked for me - but then I do mostly fire and forget smokes.

Have seen lots of photo's of people who have egg's on a patio next to the house, must work out ok.   If you don't have a natural breeze to clear the smoke, a fan might be useful.

Cookin in Texas