Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Independence Day Feast and Fun

ParallelParallel Posts: 412
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
We decided to just stay at home and have a nice relaxing family day. On the menu? Baby backs from the Big Green Egg. Start with three racks of baby back ribs, baste with mild yellow mustard...

The dry rub of choice was Dizzy Pig Course Dizzy Dust.

Onto the Big Green Egg stabilized at 275° and setup for indirect cook (with plate setter) and a dry drip pan setting on aluminum disk to keep the drippings from burning. A half dozen chunks of hickory wood provides the smoke...

Fours hours in the ribs are ready for saucing...

All sauced up and ready to pull off from the BGE.

Plated up along with some broccoli casserole and a garlic cheddar biscuit.

For desert, our Red,White & Blue (Cherry, Apple & Blueberry) pie. To be honest, the slice in this picture was the slice I had for breakfast... which is why I was in NEED of the protection of my Sig Sauer P225 against the hungry masses.

Then it was time for the kids to have some fun with the safe fireworks (you know, poppers and that sort of thing).

Then came the sparklers in preparation for lighting the big dogs...

Then came the big dogs... these were just some of them but I didn't get pics because I was busy keeping things safe. Speaking of which, the first rocket we lit flew up about six feet and exploded. Luckily I had told everyone to stay back and I happened to be shielding my boy when it blew.
It turns out the wife got some video of one of the first fireworks we set off... I wish she would have kept filming because we had some REALLY good ones. towards the end. I guess it got too dark for the camera.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,046
    Looks like some good times and good food.  We did the stay-at-home chill thaing today...  safer than dealing with all the crazy drunks on the road.  happy 4th man!

·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 412
    ... and to you and yours.

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,267
    favorite part....."CAN WE DO IT AGAIN"

lovely family happy 4th
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Looks like you had the perfect day. Family Food fun  =D>

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,377
    six_egg said:
    Looks like you had the perfect day. Family Food fun  =D>

+1

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,565
    Great post
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731

whats the recipe for the biscuits? Looks delish.

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,611
    Nice work Parallel, I trust you had a happy 4th.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,276
    Looks like a great time was had!  Happy belated 4th of July!  Nice job on those Ribs.  :)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 412
    Thanks y'all. Yeah, these ribs were my best yet. The meat held the bones yet came off clean when eaten. I think one major difference is I purposely looked for smaller ribs so I could leave them whole instead of cutting them. It just made cooking them so much easier.

·