Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fireworks heard but not seen

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited July 2013 in Off Topic
I am sitting on my back porch listening to all the fireworks being shot off but I can't see any of them. Although I know what it is it is still an eery sound. It makes me think about all the men and women in the Armed Forces that are out there protecting us people at home. I know this is no where near the noise or fear that they sleep in every night, but it just made me think.
So to all you men and women that out there that have served or are still serving that are part of this forum that will read this I want to say " THANK YOU" for helping keep our country safe.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We just watched our "dueling barges" fireworks presentation - a top 5 in the country (N'awlins goes all out).  We're a few blocks from the river so we can see it ok from our porch, perfectly if we climb on the roof.   Plus all the chatter from people shooting off their personal stash, and idiots unloading their pistols in the air (at least one person gets shot every year from falling bullets), it's quite a noisy day. 

I'd like to remember all the people that wanted freedom from religious persecution - the founders that had the foresight to put the needs of a country ahead of the needs of an oppressive monarchy or needs of any minority ruling class of aristocrats to give everyone a chance to play on a level field.  Even though it took many years, and we're still fighting secessionists trying to split the country up and religious fanatical terrorists, we're making progress.  

Old racists are dying off, and the youth are more informed through the magic of the world wide interwebs.  The world is becoming more international and cultures are melting into one another.  That's what the United States is about - setting a framework were you can be who you are, respect your cultural roots without unreasonable bias, and thrive. 

And thanks to all the service members that sacrificed, voluntary and involuntary through the draft, to do what they were instructed to do, overall, for the greater good.  We've gone through some dark times but we've pulled through. 

But the 4th of July isn't about fighting, it's about the declaration of freedom. About our collective good, and the individual's right to do whatever the hell he wants, without hurting someone else.   
    Options
    Thanks hapster!  I was getting a little teary eyed...
    Options
    Excellent post Nola!! Very well said

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    A significant portion of the famous named patriot rebels ended the revolution impoverished, their property looted or burned, their families scattered or dead, and yet they stayed the course.  It is an enduring debt that is becoming more forgotten as each July rolls around.  The ignorance of history in our youth is astounding.

Sorry for the sideways pic.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    was music playing in the background as you were typing?
    Cookin in Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Old racists are dying off, and the youth are more informed through the magic of the world wide interwebs.  The world is becoming more international and cultures are melting into one another.  That's what the United States is about - setting a framework were you can be who you are, respect your cultural roots without unreasonable bias, and thrive.  
    This is the most spot-on thing I've read all summer.  Thank you.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Botch said:
    This is the most spot-on thing I've read all summer.  Thank you.  
    While today's youth may be "more informed" they certainly don't seem to understand what our founding father's and past generations had to sacrifice in order for us to be where we are today. I fear that today's attitudes of instant gratification, doing whatever I want as long as no one else gets hurt and sense of entitlement are going to continue to weaken our society and culture.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.