Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Espn. Stop it

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I'm in the cave working on organizing my "kitchen" and have espn on. They keep showing a video compilation if deployed soldier's surprising their families coming home... I'm dehydrated from crying. On our independence day thanks to all who've served. Front lines, rear echelon, whatever soil your boots were on.... Thanks.

On a side note... Decades ago Kennedy asked us what we could do for our country... Now? WTF happened?

I study and read American history quite a bit... Man, things have changed.

Happy Independence Day.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Very good point, henapple.

From having two much older half-brothers who proudly served in WWII, to prevailing attitudes (including electing the O-man) today, it does represent a sea change for the worse.  Don't want to turn this wonderful forum into a political discussion, but I just had to vent.

Again, Happy Independence Day, all. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    lousubcap said:

Since the door is open-there is a significant void (and getting larger) between those who have served in the armed forces and the rest of the population.  In 1973 (when the draft ended-a whole 'nother topic)  about 85% of the Senate and 75% of the House had prior military service.  Today those numbers are in the low 20's to high teen's.  That is a trend-line that reflects the disconnect between those who "do the heavy lifting" and those who enjoy the benefits without any appreciation.  As a nation we have gone down the volunteer armed forces route so the gap will continue to grow.  The challenge becomes one of making sure that the "lifters" don't get lost in the "I/me" nature of our life-style. 

Perhaps someone at espn thought it worthy of a front-line story to force acknowledgement of just what it takes to be able to enjoy this 237th birthday of "The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave".

Off soap-box now.

+1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    henapple said:

I miss Ronald Reagan...

+1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Hi54putty said:
    I miss Ronald Reagan...
    +1
    +2
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Indeed...God bless America and those men and women who serve this great county in order to protect the freedoms we all enjoy!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Sad thing is our Armed Forces are not protecting "Freedom" like we were in WWII, they are now protecting the "Interests" in the Middle East for the Elite at the expense of our men and women in uniform and we the taxpayers. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Plano_JJ said:
    Sad thing is our Armed Forces are not protecting "Freedom" like we were in WWII, they are now protecting the "Interests" in the Middle East for the Elite at the expense of our men and women in uniform and we the taxpayers. 

FYI we are out of the "middle east". A'stan is not really there. The task there is called OEF.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.