Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP - 7 Pound & 5 Pound Bone In Pork Butt Cook

Options
tommyc325
tommyc325 Posts: 21
Hi everyone

Im cooking 2 pork butts for my mom. 1 is at 7 pounds & the other is at 5 pounds. Food needs to be ready and pulled at 5pm tomorrow. Any suggestions on when I should start this? Im using a large big green egg.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    First decision point-low&slow or turbo (hot&fast)-let us know which way you intend to go and that will drive the rest of the equation. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tommyc325
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    First decision point-low&slow or turbo (hot&fast)-let us know which way you intend to go and that will drive the rest of the equation. 
    Im interested in either or.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Okay-let's assume ( hate that word) you are in the Eastern time zone for reference-low&slow at around 250*F on a calibrated dome thermo and you should plan for around 2 hrs/#.  Move up to around 290*F on the dome and you should plan for 1-1.25 hrs/#.  Turbo (somewhere around 350*F/# is outside my area of expertise) and others will chime in.  You should base your cook time on the 7# butt and put the 5# one on about 90 mins later (low&slow reference).  Plan based on the above to finish around 2-3 hours early (gives you some butt behavior response time) and then foil, towel and cooler (FTC) til ready to pull and eat.  So, for the low&slow within the above parameters I would put the 7# butt on around mid-night at the 250*F dome temp with the BGE stabilized which means no vent adjustments for at least an hour before butt loading.   Beyond the above-your call!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tommyc325
    Options
    Im sorry but Im a little confused on what your refrencing when you say "2 hrs/#" and "7#"
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just substitute the word "pound" for the "#" sign and it should make sense.