Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first TURBO Butts

DMurf
DMurf Posts: 481
Well I decided to give it a shot and go turbo for my 4th of July Butts. Almost pulled the trigger last night and put them on after work but decided that I would go all in on these. Setup my indirect with the plate setter legs up, drip pan, and grid going to run at 350. Waiting for them to get to 160 then foil and ride out to 205. Also going to FTC for the first time on these.

Just used some Head Country Competition rub, no mustard, and letting them sit. Want to peek but know better. 

Photos will follow
David
BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Sounds exactly what I've been wanting to try. Keep us posted.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• TAPROOT
    TAPROOT Posts: 22
    Works great! One of our KCBS teams does them all the time and if done right they are just as good as "low and slow". Personally I'm an overnight guy but I'm betting you get it spot on.
    Fireside Outdoor Kitchens
    www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com
    Big Green Egg dealer extraordinaire
  • DMurf
    Butts went on at about 7:00 this morning just hit 160 wrapped and put back on the grill.

Now to the finish ...
    David
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That Head Country rub is the shiznit...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMurf
    First time I have used it, I had a huge jug of Bad Byron's that I finished up on my last butt.
    David
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Looks great.  Been tempted to try this too.

2 Pork butts?  how big?

Looking for the finished product---all the best

Dan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    There are pro's and con's to low&slow and the turbo (hot&fast) but given the expanded time-frame for adult supervisory beverages not to mention escape from SWMBO and turbo comes in second every time in my book.  Just an opinion and...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMurf
    @Dan Not sure on the sizes as I just cut the bag and tossed it, I imagine that they are in the 6 to 7 # range. Got the FTC'd, first time I have done that. 

@Lous I wanted to try a faster cook as I have had a but go 20 hours before it is ready, I will see how the end result comes out. I know that I did not have the bark that I normally get when I go low & slo.
    David
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @DMurf thanks for the bark comment as that is the one cook-side of turbo that seems to be consistent.  Regardless, enjoy the butts.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMurf
    Well after a long rest FTC using Omaha Steak cooler, worked really well, steaming hot coming out of the foil. The bark was very soft and the pork pulled the best I have ever done, I poured the juice that was in the foil in with the meat. Lots of flavor and a good amount of smokiness.

Here is a finished plated photo with the sandwich, some roasted potatoes, green beans, corn, and a cucumber/tomato salad.

I will definitely be doing TURBO butts in the future as I was able to start it in the morning, FTC, and still have piping hot for dinner.
    David
  • Chasman
    Chasman Posts: 5
    Sounds like everything went great. I'll have to add that to my toolbox. If you're interested in shortening cooking times even further, I've found that the thickness of the cut (or diameter if you're thinking of a circle) also influences the cooking time as much as dome temp. See my post from last year: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143426/size-matters#latest
    Austin, TX
  • DMurf
    @Chasman I agree that decreasing the thickness of the cut would definitely reduce the cooking time even further, but I shaved about 10 hours off this one. 

As a person who has never FTC'd this is an important step, just like letting your steak or roast rest. In the past I have gone straight from grill to pull and the meat would have a much drier texture, these were by far the most moist pulled pork I have made.

The only reason I even attempted a TURBO cook was due to this forum and the support and good nature of those that post or even lurk. If you have not posted jump in, everyone here wants to make each other better cooks, or at least drink better liquor. 
    David
  • Trying turbo right now.  So go 350 dome until internal temp at 160 then wrap in foil, then wrap in a towel and stick in cooler until 200 or so?  That's what I have been reading, that what you did?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @blackmosquito, Go 350 naked and rubbed until 160 internal and then wrap in foil and continue to cook until 195-205(done). Then put it in a put it in the cooler.
  • @Eggcelsior   Thanks for the tip  Went that route.  Temp was between 350-400 mostly 350.  Foiled it up at 165.  Then took it off at 205.  (man that cooks so fast with the foil wrap).  Got a nice bark.  Going to leave it on the counter for an hour, then pull it and let it sit in oven on 180 or so until ready to eat.  
    I have another that I cooked the other night pulled and in the fridge.  Should I warm it up in a pan in the oven slowly? 180ish?  Any tips on warming up?

Heres a pic after 

IMG_8270