Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Setup Suggestions

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Cooking for 16 Saturday. Was planning a 10lb butt and 3 racks of baby backs. My question is setup. My plan was to put oval stone on the on position 1.5, oval grid on position 3 with two racks, and stock grate on top with butt and one rack. I don't see how else to fit it. I do have a spider but only circular stone is the BGE stone that CGS says blocks airflow. With the setup mentioned, I have 3 questions. 1) will the stone get too hot and burn bottom of the ribs that are right above? 2) no room for drip pan, will foil be enough for that amount of grease? 3) will butt on top be bad idea over ribs? I feel like a newbie on this cook!
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• do the butt and turbo ribs while FTC. your ribs are gonna be a mess under a butt and the edges of mine did burn last time I had them right over the stone. That way you can add even more ribs and do them in an hour and a half?

A butt will give off 1/2-3/4 of a gallon of juice. I would never do one without a dripper
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    This one is for the Pros, Brother!  Would like to see what they suggest and how it turns out.
    Milton, GA.
  • Chubbs
    do the butt and turbo ribs while FTC. your ribs are gonna be a mess under a butt and the edges of mine did burn last time I had them right over the stone. That way you can add even more ribs and do them in an hour and a half?

A butt will give off 1/2-3/4 of a gallon of juice. I would never do one without a dripper

Exactly my thoughts. Just remembered I have a platesetter in my shed. That may be the solution. Indirect and hold the foil drip pan, butt and rack on 1.5 and two racks on stock grate. I am going to see if it fits shortly. Anyone use a PS with their AR?
  • Chubbs said:

do the butt and turbo ribs while FTC. your ribs are gonna be a mess
    under a butt and the edges of mine did burn last time I had them right over the stone. That way you can add even more ribs and do them in an hour and a half?

A butt will
    give off 1/2-3/4 of a gallon of juice. I would never do one without a dripper

Exactly my thoughts. Just remembered I have a platesetter in my shed. That may be the solution. Indirect and hold the foil drip pan, butt and rack on 1.5 and two racks on stock grate. I am going to see if it fits shortly. Anyone use a PS with their AR?

If you have an XL it will work. Not on a large.
  • Chubbs
    I have a large. AR and PS won't work? Damnit. Any more thought Centex? Wonder if big box store will carry a stainless drip pan that will fit in spider. Maybe fill it with sand?
  • Chubbs
    @tjv, any suggestions?
  • Chubbs
    Alright I just read on CGS site that AR doesn't work in conjunction with the PS. Only other hope is buying another small stone to go on spider I think. Then a small drip pan on that with a spacer. Anyone know if this will give me enough space to cook butt on bottom (1.5) AR setting and then ribs on Stock grid atop rig?
  • why do you hate turbo ribs so much? what did they do to you? You can tell Centex. You are safe here.

• Chubbs

why do you hate turbo ribs so much? what did they do to you? You can tell Centex. You are safe here.

Haha. Actually it is not disliking turbo ribs, it is disliking FTC'n the butt. Guess that is my only option though. I am just going to get hammered and go to sleep before dinner.
    \m/
  • Chubbs said:
    why do you hate turbo ribs so much? what did they do to you? You can tell Centex. You are safe here.

Haha. Actually it is not disliking turbo ribs, it is disliking FTC'n the butt. Guess that is my only option though. I am just going to get hammered and go to sleep before dinner. \m/
    I am just going to get hammered and go to sleep before dinner. \m/

so no change in plans? Good man.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    might consider this.  

oval stone on lower notches of rig,
    butt on upper notches of rig with oval grid.

when you get ready to add the ribs, foil the butt, put the oval grid right on the oval stone and place butt on the oval grid.  add bge stock grid atop rig with ribs.......all depends on the butt size if you have enough clearance so the foil butt does not slightly interfer with the bge grid atop the rig.......

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubbs
    tjv said:

might consider this.  

oval stone on lower notches of rig,
    butt on upper notches of rig with oval grid.

when you get ready to add the ribs, foil the butt, put the oval grid right on the oval stone and place butt on the oval grid.  add bge stock grid atop rig with ribs.......all depends on the butt size if you have enough clearance so the foil butt does not slightly interfer with the bge grid atop the rig.......

t

Thanks Tom. I will sill need a drip pan somewhere. Do you think it will work if I put a 13 in stone on the spider and a drip pan on top of that?

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Stone, spacer then drip pan. I think I've seen that.
    Seattle, WA
  • Chubbs
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Only way I ever made this work was do the butt first and FTC. I kept a 10 lb butt in a cooler for 8.5 hours and it was at 157° when I pulled it.

As other say above, I don't see it working all in 1 cook. Also the ribs are going to take a beating being that close to the stone.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    No need for a drip pan the butt is in foil in the ribs won't drop that much fat t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubbs
    bigguy136 said:

Only way I ever made this work was do the butt first and FTC. I kept a 10 lb butt in a cooler for 8.5 hours and it was at 157° when I pulled it.

As other say above, I don't see it working all in 1 cook. Also the ribs are going to take a beating being that close to the stone.

Exactly my thoughts and why I posted the thread. Looks like foil is in the cards
  • Chubbs
    If I had less people I would put a 5 lb butt on mini and then load the large and AR down with ribs
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I'd go with Tom's suggested set up with the oval stone at 1.5 level, drip pan with air gap, butt on top until you're ready to add the ribs. Then foil the butt, remove the drip pan (or replace it with foil with edges folded up for a shallow pan) and get the butt as low as possible to fit under the BGE grid and then put your ribs on.

Sounds like a rig extender or a 13" round stone on the spider then drip pan with air gap would have been helpful.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Chubbs said:
    If I had less people I would put a 5 lb butt on mini and then load the large and AR down with ribs
    If you start drinking now, maybe some of them will leave real quick?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2013
    how about this since foil obviously has wounded you deeply in the past (again, we are in the tree of trust. You can tell Centex). I really thought it was the ribs that did you wrong but it's obviously the foil.

Anyhow............why not just "C" and don't do F or T. It will easily hold for 2-3 hours in a cooler while you get yer ribs done. You could even set it on a rib rack so you don't lose any of your precious bark in the juice. It would be just like a cambro.

Now that's people helping people right there.

• Chubbs
    My man
  • Chubbs
    Alright @Centex. Just got home from the bar. Nice and buzzed up. Going to watch some breaking bad until I light the egg. What time you think I should throw the butt on? I am thinking 2am. If it takes 12 hours that will be 3 hours before guests arrive. Then I can throw the ribs on and bang through those in 3 hours. If early FTC is no problem and the ribs will just be my more traditional 4-0-1. Let me hear it brother.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Breaking bad eh....love that show !!! Next season starts soon ..can't wait!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Chubbs

Breaking bad eh....love that show !!! Next season starts soon ..can't wait!!!

Just started watching season 1 on Netflix this week. I am a fan.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2013
    Man your finished once you get intoit.No egg ,no work it's addicting.Walter is the kingpin!!!! Best show on tv!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Well, how big is the butt and what temp? I'm thinking 2am is optimistic given your current status so maybe put it on at 11 at like 225 and go to bed. Then you can bump it tomorrow when you get up if needed. Can you hold 225 decently- I can't when I'm drunk for some reason (Murphy's Irish Stout law, i guess)
  • Chubbs
    Butt is 10lb. I can hold 250 dome well so grate of around 225.
  • Get it set at 250 now so it's totally stable. Then drink until you are barely coherent and then, in a full sprint, throw the butt on and go to bed. This is what I like to call The Centex Method" (do NOT google "the centex method", I was very young and needed money). The 2nd part of the centex method. (Do not google that either-even worse) is to deal with everything else "tomorrow". I have my egg going at 228 right now while generally effing around and drinking vodka. As the vodka tightens it's steely grasp, I will run to the egg, throw my brisket in, turn off all temp alarms, and "fall asleep". Then the next morning is like Christmas. You have no idea what you are going to get, but you know there will be coal. Unlike Christmas, you pray that it is on fire and burning stuff. This is where the "more art than science" part kicks in. Good luck.
  • Chubbs
    There he is. Advice noted. Cleaning egg out now. Made a stoli and soda with lemon. "Watching the rain" until egg ready.