Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

my rain setup

WRAWRA Posts: 14
smoking a butt to bring to a family cookout for the 4th...had to improvise

Comments

• finsterfinster Posts: 136
    I'm doing the same thing tomorrow.  Will def set up something similar until i get that chimney cap.  Rain has been killing my egg enjoyment.
    MBGE in Charleston

• mdoziermdozier Posts: 86
    I saved our old patio umbrella from a trip to goodwill and picked up a simple base from Costco for my rain/shade relief. Works great
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 3,681
    @mdozier, where are the stadiums seats from?

Last year I bought a group of four red seats from the old Riverfront Stadium here in Cincy.  Have them out in my screened in patio.  Absolutely love owning them.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good eye, these are from Tiger Stadium.  We got 4 pair in the auction/sale. Kept some at the office and these came home for "supervisin' " purposes.  Too bad we don't have any cup holders...

Nice.  I drove up to Tiger Stadium four times that final season.  Loved that place.
    Not to highjack here but I agree, what a great place.  Never got to Riverfront but my buddy did and had good seats and had fun.  Apparently though the new one is spectacular.
    m

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    The Naked Whiz
    I bought this Coleman Canopy last month.  Now I can Egg in the rain and dark! Loving it so far.
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,420
    YEMTrey said:

I bought this Coleman Canopy last month.  Now I can Egg in the rain and dark! Loving it so far.

Your family looks so happy to be using it too
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 485
    edited July 2013
    WRA said:
    smoking a butt to bring to a family cookout for the 4th...had to improvise

Wonder what Dome 2 temp is? @mdozier nice stadium seats!
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio

=))

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 3,625
    Hey Naked Whiz, you need to add a bottle opener to your table.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,821
    shtgunal3 said:
    Hey Naked Whiz, you need to add a bottle opener to your table.
    One benefit of running a product review website is all the swag that falls in your lap... ;)

Actually I paid for every one of those bottle openers.  Added about $120 to the cost of the table, lol.  Oh and I paid for the umbrella too!
    The Naked Whiz
    Actually I paid for every one of those bottle openers.  Added about $120 to the cost of the table, lol.  Oh and I paid for the umbrella too!
    hahah  I stand corrected sir!  Prepared, you are, for a party of two fisted drinkers....

I didn't want anyone to have to wait in line.

The Naked Whiz
    And impervious to rain - no dilution of adult beverage...you're cutting edge in home entertainment!

• DredgerDredger Posts: 1,062
    Thanks everyone. It seems like it has rained every afternoon for weeks and I am really bummed about not being able to grill. I don't mind a little rain, but we've been having downpours. I see a few solutions that would work for us here.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • I have a question.

If it wasn't raining, would an umbrella above the egg get hot enough to ignite or melt?

I have a question.

If it wasn't raining, would an umbrella above the egg get hot enough to ignite or melt?

Maybe if it were close and the egg is full on. Do some testing with your hand or something flammable.

• FearlessTheEggNoobFearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 556
    edited July 2013

I pulled the trigger on this gazebo for when I get back to the states. I only got to use my egg 3 times on low temp before I deployed. No idea how hot it gets above the egg. I hope it will be okay for a pizza cook.

• This is getting really close to being my rain setup. Will save a few more pennies and then I will replace this roof with a synthetic thatched roof.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 1,131

I pulled the trigger on this gazebo for when I get back to the states. I only got to use my egg 3 times on low temp before I deployed. No idea how hot it gets above the egg. I hope it will be okay for a pizza cook.

Thank You for your service to our country! Have a Happy and safe 4th, but guessing with the time difference you already are through with much of the day.

See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Thank you kindly Sir!

No, it's 15:30 and sunny here. There will be brisket, and there will be beer!

...and maybe a piece of lettuce for the salad eaters.

• CookinslowCookinslow Posts: 40
    Nice over hang comes in handy
  • No cover yet, so I get wet.  The chimney cap is great (although I cut my finger once on the sharp lip of the cap.  4th of July ribs at about 1.5 hours.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • mdozier said:
    I saved our old patio umbrella from a trip to goodwill and picked up a simple base from Costco for my rain/shade relief. Works great

• mdozier said:

That is EXACTLY what I'm going to try today-in case of rain, but also to damper the sun on my bald head a bit!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • YEMTrey said:

How do the bugs like the lights? That'd be my only barrier to something like that.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
    No problems that I've experienced thus far.  Thinking some of the smoke from the Egg keeps them away.