Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cen-Tex brisket method. I hate to ask...

Comments

• I got some apple on hand. Is that ok?
    It's oak Fred....damnit....it's oak. I actually do know what you look like and what city you live in. That being said, you are quite a bit larger than me and going by height, I think you have a good shot handling any funny business from me post haste. Then, if you don't get me, I have to deal with the fine city of Flint on the way out. don't like my chances there either. 

Come to think of it........apple is good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Now this will BLOW your minds.  I'm trying to figure out what we call "live oak" (and I've been using for smoking) is the same as your white oak. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Quercus_species#Section_Quercus
  • If you survive the first couple of Weeks, you get the hang of how to dodge the gunfire. I was thinking of doing a brisket next week and the only oak I've seen is the JD Barrel chips. Gotta look harder.
    Flint, Michigan
  • If you survive the first couple of Weeks, you get the hang of how to dodge the gunfire. I was thinking of doing a brisket next week and the only oak I've seen is the JD Barrel chips. Gotta look harder.
    those are good. it's the right oak the JD doesn't impart a ton of flavor to a brisket. If that's all you got, use a few fist fulls and let er rip

• Now this will BLOW your minds.  I'm trying to figure out what we call "live oak" (and I've been using for smoking) is the same as your white oak. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Quercus_species#Section_Quercus
    yes- it is a variation of live oak. There are many though and the "post oak" variety is the most common around here (used for fence posts back in the day). I can't see how they would be wildly different but Austin and Central texas is covered in live oak trees
  • My yard is lousy with them. Back too. They are everywhere.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Fred19-You can't beat the JD oak other than the price-and if it's not of sufficient quality for Cen-Tex then just have another bourbon and all will be fine.  I use the JD Oak for prime rib low&slow roasts and briskets and it's always a winner with the prime rib-now briskets-trust me it's not the smoke wood.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @Fred19-You can't beat the JD oak other than the price-and if it's not of sufficient quality for Cen-Tex then just have another bourbon and all will be fine.  I use the JD Oak for prime rib low&slow roasts and briskets and it's always a winner with the prime rib-now briskets-trust me it's not the smoke wood.  YMMV-
    It's perfect. It is white oak and its soaked in booze. I'm all for it. what's not to like?

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Nola, the gulf coast live oak and what grows here in Texas look very different. Not sure about taste but they don't look the same to me.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    edited July 2013
    Nola, the gulf coast live oak and what grows here in Texas look very different. Not sure about taste but they don't look the same to me.
    I'm thinking the same thing. 

My neighbor was trimming his live oak and I said - dude, just drop them logs in my driveway and I'll save ya a trip to the dump.  He's like, ok.

So I have this huge effin pile of oak logs.  I'm trying to split it.  I buy two splitter wedges and from harbor freight.  It's like trying to use a carrot to split diamond.  I buy a $50 swiss Fiskars axe.  Quit hacking when I thought I'd lose a toe.  Then I bought a hydraulic log splitter.  Almost broke the thang.  It's been about 6 months....I'm still cutting it up with a chainsaw and splitting it, but this stuff is like ironwood.

My neighbor was trimming his live oak and I said - dude, just drop them logs in my driveway and I'll save ya a trip to the dump.  He's like, ok.

So I have this huge effin pile of oak logs.  I'm trying to split it.  I buy two splitter wedges and from harbor freight.  It's like trying to use a carrot to split diamond.  I buy a $50 swiss Fiskars axe.  Quit hacking when I thought I'd lose a toe.  Then I bought a hydraulic log splitter.  Almost broke the thang.  It's been about 6 months....I'm still cutting it up with a chainsaw and splitting it, but this stuff is like ironwood.
    nothing like a little 10W-30 from your chainsaw bar to flavor up a brisket cook.

we have like 10 variations here. I don't think people are too picky. I can't guarantee mine are post oak. I buy them in a burlap bag. They could be from Bangladesh for all I know. Looks like post oak.........I dunno. 
  • nolaegghead

nothing like a little 10W-30 from your chainsaw bar to flavor up a brisket cook.

we have like 10 variations here. I don't think people are too picky. I can't guarantee mine are post oak. I buy them in a burlap bag. They could be from Bangladesh for all I know. Looks like post oak.........I dunno. 
    I put vegetable oil in the chainsaw - just for that reason.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited July 2013

Old Naval ship builders chose live oak for the same reason. 

EDIT: My dads house, the one I grew up in, is about 1 mile from The Gulf Islands National Seashore. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead

Old Naval ship builders chose live oak for the same reason. 

EDIT: My dads house, the one I grew up in, is about 1 mile from The Gulf Islands National Seashore. 
    Yeah, that description is spot on.  Tastes good though, I've been thowin' chunks in da fire.
    AUWAG said:
    Thank you!!
    there really is no secret injection. I really just trim, rub, and smoke. Let me know if you need any help. And don't think that oak chunks don't matter. they do. I don't wanna see "well I had some Persimmon wood lying around" or "I already bought 300 lbs of mesquite from a guy on the side of the road". Go find oak :) (trust me on this). If you don't find oak, lie to me. I will find you.

I gotta agree!  White oak is not that easy to get in my area - but when I did it was amazing how much of a difference it made in the flavor - for the better.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I got some apple on hand. Is that ok?
    It's oak Fred....damnit....it's oak. I actually do know what you look like and what city you live in. That being said, you are quite a bit larger than me and going by height, I think you have a good shot handling any funny business from me post haste. Then, if you don't get me, I have to deal with the fine city of Flint on the way out. don't like my chances there either. 

Come to think of it........apple is good.

=))
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Can't say "OAK" enough. I'm a Central Texas boy myself (Luling, TX) and oak is the only thing going in the pits at City Market!!
  • Can't say "OAK" enough. I'm a Central Texas boy myself (Luling, TX) and oak is the only thing going in the pits at City Market!!
    did someone say oak?

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    So CenTex... totally serious here. My wife and son are very allergic to Oak (I may revoke their Texas residencies). Last brisket I smoked using oak (CT style), I was minutes away from using the Epi pin for my boy. The Benadryl finally kicked in. Any suggestions? I used hickory chunks this week. It was great. But it wasn't oak.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2013
    GQuiz said: So CenTex... totally serious here. My wife and son are very allergic to Oak (I may revoke their Texas residencies). Last brisket I smoked using oak (CT style), I was minutes away from using the Epi pin for my boy. The Benadryl finally kicked in. Any suggestions? I used hickory chunks this week. It was great. But it wasn't oak.

@GQuiz... I think we'd all agree that you get a pass on using Oak. Glad things worked out the
    last time you used it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    don't forget add booze, at any point of the cook.
  • GQuiz said:
    So CenTex... totally serious here. My wife and son are very allergic to Oak (I may revoke their Texas residencies). Last brisket I smoked using oak (CT style), I was minutes away from using the Epi pin for my boy. The Benadryl finally kicked in. Any suggestions? I used hickory chunks this week. It was great. But it wasn't oak.
    by all means use something else. The other stronger woods that are good for BBQ are hickory, mesquite, pecan. 
  • BYS1981 said:
    secret ingredient
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Put it on at 11 last night. JD oak chips used. Got it stabilized at 250. Checked this morning and had moved about 2 degrees. Cooking in the rain so don't get to sit outside and enjoy it but at least the egg is doing its job!!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    BYS1981 said:
    secret ingredient
    Maybe we should clarify that the booze is added to the cook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    GQuiz said:
    GQuiz,
     I have used Pecan with Brisket and it turned out well. Food allergies are a bummer , if you try Pecan watch your family, would hate for them to react to it ~
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    They have more issue with the smoke. I think my wife pops an Allegra before dinner more concerned for the boy. When my son got sick, he was playing in the vicinity of my Egg. i threw oak chunks in with the lump. I'm bummed because @travisstrick turned me on to Central Market's oak lump and I love the way it cooks. May have to practice moderation or just not use oak on anything over 2 hours. Central Market does have a good mesquite.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • nolaegghead
    I burned probably around 120 pounds of mesquite lump.  Just need to be careful you're getting good smoke before you throw the food on and it's fine.  The bad smoke smells like coal.
    Well it turned out pretty well. A little dryer than I would have liked but a good first cook. We had quite a spread of sides to go with it: squash casserole, tomato pie, cheese grits, cheese biscuits(red lobster kind which are awesome to make little sandwiches with!), and home made key lime pie. Everyone enjoyed. I kept it around 250 for 18 hours and pulled it at 195-200 depending on where the thermapen was inserted. I wrapped in foil and a towel and rested in a cooler for 1.5 hours. Any suggestions to avoid dryness or is that just the nature of the beast?! Thanks for everyone's help and hope you all had a happy 4th. Attached are a few pics.