Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time butt (TONIGHT)

Options
to be 100 % sure, use the plate setter and cook 2 hours per lb at 225 degrees or internal temp of 180... correct???

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    You want internal temp of 195-200 ish. Pull when temp probe goes in and out like buttah.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Cajunpride2012
    Options

cool in-direct heat?

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Thats one way...

PS legs up, drip pan with spacers (foil balls are fine), grid with butt

Dome stable at 250 to 275, add smoke wood and wait for clear or blueish good smelling smoke. Add butt

Start checking for tenderness at about 185 - 190, when you bone starts to come out clean you are done

There will be a stall

Don't sweat it. Butt is about the most forgiving cook there is on the egg

Have fun, enjoy, and post pictures

H
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options

cool in-direct heat?

Absolutely

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Cajunpride2012
    Options

Awesom guys, thanks for the advice... Will be putting the butt on at 8PM - planning on a 10 - 11 hour cook..... pictures to come...

By the way - this one will be injected Blackberry Jelly and Bourbon with Brown Sugar / Tony Chatcheres rub...

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

Awesom guys, thanks for the advice... Will be putting the butt on at 8PM - planning on a 10 - 11 hour cook..... pictures to come...

By the way - this one will be injected Blackberry Jelly and Bourbon with Brown Sugar / Tony Chatcheres rub...

Looking forward to the pics and more about that jelly and bourbon injection!
  • Cajunpride2012
    Options
    hapster said:

Looking forward to the pics and more about that jelly and bourbon injection!

1 Cup Blackberry Jelly
    1 Cup Bourbon

Heat in small boiler just long enough to melt the jelly. Inject Butt

Rubb:
    1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
    1 Cup Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning

Wrap for 2 hours

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    As said above there is all kinda different ways to cook a butt. I go hot and fast, 325-350 dome and a 9lb butt will be done in 7 1/2hrs or so. No more overnights here.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cajunpride2012
    Options
    to be 100 % sure, use the plate setter and cook 2 hours per lb at 225 degrees or internal temp of 180... correct???

4:30 AM Update.... cook time at this point is 8 hours. Temperatue is holding steady at 215 - dome. Internal meat temp is 163... Getting close - at this rate, should see 185 around 7:30 AM....

Will check back in after the sun comes up.....

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Cajunpride2012 Sounds like you are in the stall-don't be surprised if when you next check that the temp hasn't gone anywhere and may have dropped a few degrees.   You should have a few hours of cooking still in front of you.  Enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cajunpride2012
    Options

4:30 AM Update.... cook time at this point is 8 hours. Temperatue is holding steady at 215 - dome. Internal meat temp is 163... Getting close - at this rate, should see 185 around 7:30 AM....

8:30 Update.... raised temp to 240 @ 6AM,,, Internal temp is now sitting at 188.... i will pull at 195 whick should be at 10:30 AM......

• anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Options
    got mine on the egg this morning at 6 a.m., going 285 (legs up, drip pan with apple juice) until the bone slides out. 7 pounder. sounds like you're just about there. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Don't forget to let them rest after. I always wrap in foil for 30 minutes minimum and up to 7 hours FTC if needed.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Pics
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Cajunpride2012
    Options

8:30 Update.... raised temp to 240 @ 6AM,,, Internal temp is now sitting at 188.... i will pull at 195 whick should be at 10:30 AM.....

OK - I'm done and no doubt tired after pulling an all nighter. As mentioned earlier, I am calling this my Black Berry Bourbon Butt. I mentioned what my injection consided of along with the rub and if I had to change anything , I would have added more Bourbn. Overall, I would give it a 9 out of 10. The Bark was excellent and the texture of the meat was perfect. Overall, the total cook time was 13.5 hours at 225 - 240 dome. Legs up, drip pan (no water), Hickory Chuncks with Royal Oak Lump.

Enjoy the pictures and thanks for the advice...

1.JPG 84.5K
    2.JPG 121K
    3.JPG 130.8K
    4.JPG 197.4K