Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling Egg

Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
Hey everyone. SWMBO and I have the RV bug and plan on buying a motorhome in the near future. I was just wondering what Egg you use for a traveling Egg? It is just the two of us so a mini sounds good but I would like to be able cook more and share the Eggsperience with others. How portable is a small? What do some of you seasoned Egger/RVers use? Bill
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Small with an egg crate in our 5th wheel
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My med traveles very well.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited July 2013
    Mini is extremely portable. Perfect for 2 people
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcited Bravesfan in Minneapolis
    edited July 2013
    B-)
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I take the small everywhere. It goes nicly in the travel trailer or buckles in with the one side of the back seat up.
  • I have both and you can't go wrong with either one.  Perhaps if you have a good dealer, they will let you lift both and that may make the decision for you.  When I take mine, I travel and lift them with the ceramics inside the egg.  The mini is definitely easier to lug around, but the small has more real estate. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Jackh said:
    Small with an egg crate in our 5th wheel
    What is an Egg Crate?
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    We use a small when we RV. It is nice to be able to cook for a few people, you never who you will run into.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That egg crate is pretty sweet.  As a DIY kinda guy, I need to tell y'all peeps that you could make one out of plywood and some pipe for any sized egg, put a nice finish on it and it'll last for years in that capacity.
    That egg crate is pretty sweet.  As a DIY kinda guy, I need to tell y'all peeps that you could make one out of plywood and some pipe for any sized egg, put a nice finish on it and it'll last for years in that capacity.

I been thinking bout building one out of oak or cherry plywood for my small.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead

shtgunal3 said:

I been thinking bout building one out of oak or cherry plywood for my small.
    That's the spirit.  I built 'nuf wooden model boats n planes n stuff to see it's really a very elegant and simple construction project.
    @nolaegghead I'm not sure I want the plywood on bottom though. Not sure what else I would use though. Also, need to keep strength up and weight down. Thoughts? Suggestions?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you Google mini big big green carrier or transporter you'll find links to making inexpensive carriers out of plywood. Some folks built plywood carriers for small eggs too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    shtgunal3 said:
    @nolaegghead I'm not sure I want the plywood on bottom though. Not sure what else I would use though. Also, need to keep strength up and weight down. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    The bottom could be a couple or a few pipes.  The egg is a captive creature, so you just need a little bottom support to catch the edges. No need for a plate on the bottom. If you'd feel better bout it, a sheet of expanded steel or diamond plate.  But the pipe concept will give you an air gap so you could put the whole thing down without a contact fire hazard.