Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Drinking At This Moment?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2013
    You would think I know better, but it's White Russian time!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

He was drinking another of the frozen daiquiris with no sugar in it and as he lifted it, heavy and the glass frost-rimmed, he looked at the clear part below the frapped top and it reminded him of the sea.  The frapped part of the drink was like the wake of a ship and the clear part was the way the water looked when the bow cut it when you were in shallow water over marl bottom.  That was almost the exact color.

“I wish they had a drink the color of sea water when you have a depth of eight hundred fathoms and there is a dead calm with the sun straight up and down and the sea full of plankton.”

“What?”

“Nothing.  Let’s drink this shallow water drink.”  … 

“This frozen daiquiri, so well beaten as it is, looks like the sea where the wave falls away from the bow of a ship when she is doing thirty knots.” 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    hapster said:
    In the summer, my preferred drink is beer and my favorite summer mixed drink is a gin & tonic.  I drink more whiskey in the cooler months.
    I have never been able to properly reproduce this drink -

Thomas Hudson went into the bar where it was cool and almost dark after the glare of the coral road and had a gin and tonic water with a piece of lime peel in the glass and a few drops of Angostura in the drink. …. He stood there, holding the long, pleasantly bitter drink, tasting the first swallow of it, and it reminded him of Tanga, Mombasa, and Lamu and all that coast and he had a sudden nostalgia for Africa. …
    Might be the most beautiful bit of prose ever
    That's Hemingway for sure. Islands in the Stream?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Bingo Travis. We need another literary thread.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy 
    I love that stuff.  But I'm drinking diet coke and Evan Williams black label.  My usual. 

We made these last Sunday, and I ended up laying on the floor of the manbearcave before saying "enough is enough, I'm sick and tired of these *&^%$ snakes on this (*&^%$ plane"...wait, wrong story...before I said I'm hittin' the sack.  But good lord, they were incredible.  Try. Them.
    I forgot to say what I made.  National drink of Brazil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha

That was my pre dinner drink every night last week while in Aruba. My first experience was when in Brazil last March. Note to self, 2 is OK but 3 causes memory loss!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YEMTrey
    Bingo Travis. We need another literary thread.
    Reading is for Sucka's!
    Steve 

• Doc_Eggerton
    “And give him a large Bushmills whiskey,” O’Brien said. “Only the best for Liam Devlin.”

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YEMTrey
    "Sippin on Gin and Juice. With my mind on my money and my money on my mind!"
    Steve 

• Eggcelsior

“And give him a large Bushmills whiskey,” O’Brien said. “Only the best for Liam Devlin.”

Doc, you ould bastard!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Of course we got drunk!" Semyon said. "It's okay to get drunk, Anton. If you need to real bad. Only you have to get drunk on vodka. Cognac and wine—that's all for the heart." "So what's vodka for?" "For the soul. If it's hurting real bad” ― Sergei Lukyanenko, Night Watch
    Doc, you ould bastard!
    As ever was.  God Bless all here.

• Doc_Eggerton
    I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch.
    Famous Grouse.  The drink of COL Edward C. Banning USMC.

• Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    @ hapster Rye imparts a spicier flavor and bourbon is smoother, sweeter from its corn and longer cask aging. Rye slaps you a little bit (like a jilted lover) and I like to know I am having a drink so when I am making a mixed drink like an old fashioned I go for Rye.  If am having a drink neat or on the rocks, it is bourbon.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Eggucator said:

@ hapster Rye imparts a spicier flavor and bourbon is smoother, sweeter from its corn and longer cask aging. Rye slaps you a little bit (like a jilted lover) and I like to know I am having a drink so when I am making a mixed drink like an old fashioned I go for Rye.  If am having a drink neat or on the rocks, it is bourbon.  

Thanks for that eggucation. Appreciate the heads up. I'm all for a slap; just from the lover I'm with and and plan to stay with no matter how hard she hits me. :)

Here I'm going for the second half. A Cain NUB and some more Sailor Jerry rum. The wife and and daughter gave me a big hug and plenty of kisses. Don't get better than that!
  • YEMTrey
    Oh, a few more White Russians.  I'm afraid to go upstairs and face the wife.

Steve 

• Eggcelsior
    YEMTrey said:

Oh, a few more White Russians.  I'm afraid to go upstairs and face the wife.

I'm getting ready to prep ribs and she's sleeping on the couch. I keep dropping ****. Oh dear.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    In the summer, my preferred drink is beer and my favorite summer mixed drink is a gin & tonic.  I drink more whiskey in the cooler months.

Thomas Hudson went into the bar where it was cool and almost dark after the glare of the coral road and had a gin and tonic water with a piece of lime peel in the glass and a few drops of Angostura in the drink. …. He stood there, holding the long, pleasantly bitter drink, tasting the first swallow of it, and it reminded him of Tanga, Mombasa, and Lamu and all that coast and he had a sudden nostalgia for Africa. …
    I could tell by the style and because I know Doc loves his Hemingway, it's a Hemingway gin n tonic.  We got a Hemingway kitteh a month ago.  Darwin. Evolving with a number of extra toes and scary smart.
    Big difference between Rye and Bourbon, but I'm busy at the moment:
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Makers and sprite zero
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

I feel so inadequate.  While you guys were all drinking cool stuff I was out with my in-laws drinking Beach House Pinot while a low grade family feud was brewing with my wife's brother and his wife - and the tension was mounting.  I decided to limit myself to 2 glasses because I was driving and I didn't want to get so disinhibited that I would say some things that I would regret.

Tonight we're dining in and I'm not driving... I'll start with a Chimay Red and see how it goes from there.

@nolaegghead, caipirinhas are awesome. My first experience with them was at a bar in the Galapagos Islands with a very international crowd where 10 different languages were being spoken within 20 feet of me.  It was surreal - especially when the German guy we had befriended - who spoke English with us, Spanish with the locals, French with his wife - started conversing with the Chinese group at the next table in Mandarin.....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Victory Storm King Stout
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Water w a lot of ice. I too like Caipiruinhas. Learned about the from a soccer coach now very good friend from São Paulo Brazil who literally wrote the book on Brazilian football
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior

Victory Storm King Stout

Strong work! Hair o' the dog, I say!
  • frankie482
    Victory Storm King Stout
  • frankie482
    Victory Storm King Stout
    Strong work! Hair o' the dog, I say!

Well not EXACTLY at this moment!!
  • hapster said:

Wait.... I thought Islands in the stream was Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. I guess I better check out on the readers thread.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Eggcelsior

hapster said:

In the summer, my preferred drink is beer and
    my favorite summer mixed drink is a gin & tonic.  I drink more
    whiskey in the cooler months.

Thomas Hudson went into the bar where it was cool and almost dark
    after the glare of the coral road and had a gin and tonic water with a
    piece of lime peel in the glass and a few drops of Angostura in the
    drink. …. He stood there, holding the long, pleasantly bitter drink,
    tasting the first swallow of it, and it reminded him of Tanga, Mombasa,
    and Lamu and all that coast and he had a sudden nostalgia for Africa. …

Wait.... I thought Islands in the stream was Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. I guess I better check out on the readers thread.

At least the Bee Gees titled it after the Hemingway novel.