Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Traveling Egg

PjoePjoe Posts: 224
Hey everyone. SWMBO and I have the RV bug and plan on buying a motorhome in the near future. I was just wondering what Egg you use for a traveling Egg? It is just the two of us so a mini sounds good but I would like to be able cook more and share the Eggsperience with others. How portable is a small? What do some of you seasoned Egger/RVers use? Bill
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
·

Comments

• JackhJackh Posts: 105
    Small with an egg crate in our 5th wheel
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    My med traveles very well.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,444
    edited July 2013
    Mini is extremely portable. Perfect for 2 people
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • edited July 2013
    B-)
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
    ·
  • rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I take the small everywhere. It goes nicly in the travel trailer or buckles in with the one side of the back seat up.
    ·
  • I have both and you can't go wrong with either one.  Perhaps if you have a good dealer, they will let you lift both and that may make the decision for you.  When I take mine, I travel and lift them with the ceramics inside the egg.  The mini is definitely easier to lug around, but the small has more real estate. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • PjoePjoe Posts: 224
    Jackh said:
    Small with an egg crate in our 5th wheel
    What is an Egg Crate?
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,360
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,770
    We use a small when we RV. It is nice to be able to cook for a few people, you never who you will run into.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,804
    That egg crate is pretty sweet.  As a DIY kinda guy, I need to tell y'all peeps that you could make one out of plywood and some pipe for any sized egg, put a nice finish on it and it'll last for years in that capacity.

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    That egg crate is pretty sweet.  As a DIY kinda guy, I need to tell y'all peeps that you could make one out of plywood and some pipe for any sized egg, put a nice finish on it and it'll last for years in that capacity.

I been thinking bout building one out of oak or cherry plywood for my small.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·

shtgunal3 said:

I been thinking bout building one out of oak or cherry plywood for my small.
    That's the spirit.  I built 'nuf wooden model boats n planes n stuff to see it's really a very elegant and simple construction project.

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    @nolaegghead I'm not sure I want the plywood on bottom though. Not sure what else I would use though. Also, need to keep strength up and weight down. Thoughts? Suggestions?

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    If you Google mini big big green carrier or transporter you'll find links to making inexpensive carriers out of plywood. Some folks built plywood carriers for small eggs too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    shtgunal3 said:
    @nolaegghead I'm not sure I want the plywood on bottom though. Not sure what else I would use though. Also, need to keep strength up and weight down. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    The bottom could be a couple or a few pipes.  The egg is a captive creature, so you just need a little bottom support to catch the edges. No need for a plate on the bottom. If you'd feel better bout it, a sheet of expanded steel or diamond plate.  But the pipe concept will give you an air gap so you could put the whole thing down without a contact fire hazard.

·