Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portobello Mushrooms

Options
Smoke-N-Smirk!
Smoke-N-Smirk! Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggsperts! It's been a while since I've been able to use the forum. A schedule change has made it difficult to participate. Glad to see things are alive and well.
I need a recipe for Portobello Mushrooms. Stumbled into a small windfall of the fungi and need to smoke'em up! [p]Thanks, S-N-M!

Comments

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    I like to paint them top and bottom with a good quality EVOO. Then I fill the cavity with crumbled blue cheese and slices/slivers of red roasted pepper and some pre-cooked hot italian sausage. Drizzle some more EVOO on top and put on the grill. Something like 350 or so for 7 10 minutes. Yum!!! Many variations are possible. Experiment.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    welcome back! ... .here is how the spawn does them. ..[p]take one or two shrooms and cut them up.. . .in a pan, partially saute up some italian sausage (mild or hot to your taste), mix in the chopped up shrooms. .. .in a bowl mix about 1/2 cup of milk with some cut up white/french bread (a couple of slices worth). . .. mix this up till the bread is soaked and soft. . ..mix in the shroom/sausage mix and about 1/2 a cup of grated parmesan cheese and a little rub of your choice (dizzy tsuanami spin works well as does bluesmoke's witchy red). .. .place this in the remaining mushroom tops ... top with more grated parmesan cheese. . . put in 375 degree egg on grid (or fish grid to make removing easier). .for about 15 minutes. . . .[p]good stuff

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    I like to marinate them for 15 minutes in italian dressing. Then I grill them gills side down for about 4 minutes over a fairly hot fire. When I turn them over, I place a thin slice of onion (get a big onion so a single slice will cover most of the shroom) on the mushroom. On top of that, I place some crumbled feta cheese. Cook another 4 minutes or so, and voila!
    TNW

[ul][li]http://minu[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    ajay,[p]Good Morning!![p]Long time no post!![p]Hope all's well in you part of the world.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Grillicious
    Options
    ajay, I believe you meant to say eggsperiment (LOL).

• ajay
    Options
    Grillicious, You're absoloutly right. The correct word is eggsperiment. Sorry!
  • ajay
    Options
    Chubby, good morning to you Sir. I'm putting your grill eggstders to good use. For what it's worth, I'm usually here, but I am more of a lurker than a poster.[p]Regards
  • CampCook
    Options
    Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    I've used portobellos a lot. I use them like a pizza and spread toppings on the gill side. One special note, however. We have found they are much better if the gills are removed before cooking. This is easily done. I use a grapefruit spoon to scrape them away.