Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt w/ Bourbon instead of Apple Juice?

In the past I've tried Apple Juice, Cranberry juice and even a 6-pack of hard apple cider in the pan below the butt. We don't happen to have any of that in the house tonight. What do y'all think about using bourbon (with hickory chunks)? Ever tried anything like that before? If so, what would be your advice for me?
XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    When we did butts in a water smoker we used beer, heads of garlic, onions and jalapeños. I don't use it when we do butts on the egg. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    edited July 2013
    I've seen a lot of recipes call for apple juice as a sub bourbon.... I'd go for it. Don't use the Woodford Reserve though. That's for sippin'.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • MisterCode
    MisterCode Posts: 69
    Griffin, what do you mean, "in the cook"?
  • GrannyX4
    The cook drinks the bourbon and doesn't put it in the water pan! ;;)
  • I don't think liquid is necessary in the drip pan at all. Cooked properly the meat will be plenty moist enough from the Egg. I would definitely say +1 on the bourbon going to the cook and not the food.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578

He means you (the cook) drinks it. Waste not, want not. :P
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Water
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Egg don't need no water pan.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • MisterCode
    Ah, haha!  :> So no water, no nothing? Just a plate setter, legs up, with the seasoned butt on the grate?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I would use an empty drip pan with spacers between the drip pan and platesetter so the drippings do not burn. There will be a lot of drippings from a butt.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

He means you (the cook) drinks it. Waste not, want not. :P

Tru dat!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I, also, like to use a drip pan, no liquid, just some spacers between the pan and the plate setter; helps keep the drippings from burning.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Water pans just increase the amount of fuel you use and do not add flavor. Sip the bourbon.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A water pan is like a cube of ice in your oven if you're cooking above the boiling point of water (212 F @ sealevel for those that don't know).  Typically we're cooking hotter than that. Anyway, it slows down the cooking rate.  Good thing if that's what you want.  It also, usually because it's below the meat, slows down the cooking rate below the meat... Adding sugar, salt, or anything that has a boiling point greater than water, it'll just concentrate there....you might as well be sprinkling holy water on a deranged beluga whale.  As far as aromatics go, has the same effect as your grandmomma givin ya a hug with a heap of granny perfume on.  You'll get a little surface dusting, but that's competing with the rub and smoke.
    :ar!
    A water pan is like a cube of ice in your oven if you're cooking above the boiling point of water (212 F @ sealevel for those that don't know).  Typically we're cooking hotter than that. Anyway, it slows down the cooking rate.  Good thing if that's what you want.  It also, usually because it's below the meat, slows down the cooking rate below the meat... Adding sugar, salt, or anything that has a boiling point greater than water, it'll just concentrate there....you might as well be sprinkling holy water on a deranged beluga whale.  As far as aromatics go, has the same effect as your grandmomma givin ya a hug with a heap of granny perfume on.  You'll get a little surface dusting, but that's competing with the rub and smoke.
    :ar!
    Possibly the funniest answer / explanation I have ever seen on here... "holy water on a deranged Beluga whale."

You just can't make this **** up...
  • GrannyX4
    edited July 2013
    I resemble some of those remarks! Grands don't mind the Granny smell if it's chocolate. Funny ;;)
  • Send the bourbon my way and I'll "test" out your theory and report back in a week.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • MisterCode
    Well the cook is going well. Butt is at 185 degrees. My wife's telling me all the kiddos are getting at the "end of their rope". Can I take it off now? Or is it essential to let it get all the up to 195-200? 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Probe it, but chances are it'll still be tough.

If your probe slides in and out like a hot knife through butter, it's ready.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MisterCode
    Bingo! Checked and it's at 190. Shredded it up and the bone pulled out clean. Good to go! I'll post a pic after dinner. 
  • MisterCode
    I definitely like to let it get up to 200. And I do think it makes a difference. But 190 is fine and everyone definitely enjoyed it along with the Dr. Pepper reduction BBQ sauce I made. That is a Very good recipe that was definitely a hit. I've tried several other sauce recipes in the past but this recipe is a top notch BBQ sauce. 
  • Looks great! Nice work!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I definitely like to let it get up to 200. And I do think it makes a difference. But 190 is fine and everyone definitely enjoyed it along with the Dr. Pepper reduction BBQ sauce I made. That is a Very good recipe that was definitely a hit. I've tried several other sauce recipes in the past but this recipe is a top notch BBQ sauce. 
    @MisterCode you know that you can get a butt done early and hold it for several hours before serving.  If you have time always plan on your pork butt being down a few hours before serving time.  Then FTC (wrap in foil, wrap in a couple of towels and place in a cooler) until time to pull.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Mistercode, If you like Bourbon, I suggest you try looking up the Maple Bourbon Ham recipe on the Forum then take that exact same method/recipe and use it on your next butt...it is "slap your grandma"...if you like Bourbon!
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    *Slap your Grandma" good, is what that should have said!