Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cen-Tex brisket method. I hate to ask...

I can't find the link. I thought I had it saved and went through his posts looking but no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm cooking one for the 4th!!

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    I thought Travis made all Centex's briskets.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Here's the way I've been doing them lately:

Fancy (or not fancy) choice brisket
    All hard fat removed, fat cap trimmed to 1/8"
    Bad Byron's (full coverage but do not double up with Bad Byron's- it can be salty if overdone)
    250 dome (17 hours for 9 lbs once trimmed up)
    I used Ozark Oak and more importantly- OAK CHUNKS (6 or 8)
    Oak makes the difference with brisket. If you haven't tried it, do that next. 
    I didn't use any thermos this cook (other than the dome). I checked with thermapen in the AM and pulled when it read 195-208 internal depending on where you stuck it. It felt right, so I pulled it.
    Wrapped in butcher paper, 2 layers of foil, lots of towels and put in a cooler.
    You left out the part with the microwave.... ;)
    edited July 2013
    shtgunal3 said:
    I thought Travis made all Centex's briskets.
    I'm not above travis making my briskets and I would absolutely lie and buy one at Franklin's if the lines weren't so long  :D

Actually, I love Franklin's but they aren't magic. It's brisket. he gets a ton of hype and deservedly so but anyone on here can do them just as well with a little practice. Now can you do 60 of them at a time just as well? No.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Here's the way I've been doing them lately:

Bad Byron's (full coverage but do not double up with Bad Byron's- it can be salty if overdone)
    I didn't use any thermos this cook (other than the dome). I checked with thermapen in the AM and pulled when it read 195-208 internal depending on where you stuck it. It felt right, so I pulled it.
    and the 22 ingredient super secret injection that takes 4 days to properly make. This sh*t ain't easy :))

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2013
    Here's the way I've been doing them lately:

and the 22 ingredient super secret injection that takes 4 days to properly make. This sh*t ain't easy :))

You're no worse than Ayayron Franklin and his video series..... ;)
    there really is no secret injection. I really just trim, rub, and smoke. Let me know if you need any help. And don't think that oak chunks don't matter. they do. I don't wanna see "well I had some Persimmon wood lying around" or "I already bought 300 lbs of mesquite from a guy on the side of the road". Go find oak :) (trust me on this). If you don't find oak, lie to me. I will find you.

• oak
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cen Tex forgot to mention that he uses oak for smoking.
  • Cen Tex forgot to mention that he uses oak for smoking.
    good call eggcelsior. Phew. glad you caught that. I do use oak for smoking. makes a big difference.

• shtgunal3
    Do you prefer red or white oak or does it matter?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Centex, any particular wood you recommend for smoking?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2013
    shtgunal3 said:
    Do you prefer red or white oak or does it matter?
    they really are different but we have white oak here so that's what i'm used to. I love the flavor of red oak (famous for the Santa Maris style "bbq" out west) on steaks and stuff but white (post oak) is the flavor of the region for BBQ around here.

White Oak is what they make wine and whisky barrels out of and it imparts that "vanilla" flavor in your favorite bourbon or chardonnay. It comes through in meat too and I love it. I was all over the map- using pecan, mesquite, hickory, and some oak. But once I really dug in and studied all the places I loved, the one constant was post oak. Once I made the permanent change to oak, it made a huge difference for me. 

• So did you make the permanent change on briskets only? Do you still use apple or cherry or something fruitier for pork? Or are you beef only kind of guy?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Should I use hickory?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    I have found some oak!! I will let you know how it turns out. Putting it on after a late dinner tonight. I haven't cooked a brisket yet but many butts and ribs. Figured there wasn't a better day to do it than the 4th!
  • So did you make the permanent change on briskets only? Do you still use apple or cherry or something fruitier for pork? Or are you beef only kind of guy?
    I don't do as much pork anymore (besides bacon and charcuterie stuff) but I do Oak on butts and ribs, apple on chops, tenderloins, and bacon and I always use cherry on chicken. Cherry on brined chicken is magic. It's probably the best thing I make.........even better than brisky. I'm doing chicken for the 4th. 
  • shtgunal3
    I have tons of red oak. Yard is full of 100 year old red oaks. I have a bunch cut up in the barn. I've used it to cook with and really like it.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Post oak is good stuff if you can find it. Silly farmers and ranchers using it for making fences...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• shtgunal3 said:
    I have tons of red oak. Yard is full of 100 year old red oaks. I have a bunch cut up in the barn. I've used it to cook with and really like it.
    I would use that for sure.

• Very nice. Thanks for the input. I have been pretty happy with the apple on butts as that is what I cook the most but I will need to get some oak and try that for butts and also the brisket I plan to cook in a couple weeks. I knew of your oak preference before but made that decision to use mesquite as it was what I had. (I know if I do it again you will track me down) I was plenty satisfied but am lookin forward to even better on the next one.
    Columbus IN
  • Very nice. Thanks for the input. I have been pretty happy with the apple on butts as that is what I cook the most but I will need to get some oak and try that for butts and also the brisket I plan to cook in a couple weeks. I knew of your oak preference before but made that decision to use mesquite as it was what I had. (I know if I do it again you will track me down) I was plenty satisfied but am lookin forward to even better on the next one.
    Oak, Daron. Oak.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited July 2013

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AUWAG said:
    I have found some oak!! I will let you know how it turns out. Putting it on after a late dinner tonight. I haven't cooked a brisket yet but many butts and ribs. Figured there wasn't a better day to do it than the 4th!
    What is this oak stuff you speak of? Never heard of it. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 said:

Be glad to send you some, if you need it.

• shtgunal3 said:
    shtgunal3 said:

Be glad to send you some, if you need it.
    would love to try it to see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
  • I got some apple on hand. Is that ok?
    Flint, Michigan
  • On it!
    Columbus IN