Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Last night we took some of the leftover spatchcock chicken from Sunday and made some enchiladas.

Rolled up some corn tortillas with the chicken, onions and Monterrey Jack cheese

Topped with a sauce and more cheese and then tossed it on the Egg indirect at 375F

30 minutes later and it was done...sort of. I like my cheese a bit more browned, so we popped it under the broiler for a few minutes, then topped it with some green onions.

Ate it with a simple salad and some Briana's Chipotle Cheddar salad dressing (good stuff, nice bit of heat)

Pretty darn tasty meal and a great way to use leftover chicken, just wish I had left the seeds and veins in the jalapenos that I chopped up for the sauce. So good I went back for one more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    looks great griff!
    Great cook! And optimal use of leftovers.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited July 2013
    Looks great griffin. I make a white sauce enchilada recipe that is pretyt killer. Thanks for the inspiration to cook it on the egg.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Chubbs said:
    Looks great griffin. I make a white sauce enchilada recipe that is pretyt killer. Thanks for the inspiration to cook it on the egg.

If you can cook it in the oven, you can cook it on the Egg. What's your sauce?

Rowlett, Texas

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Griffin, those look great. I love chicken and beef enchiladas. It may surprise you to know that they're not readily available up here in the GWN. Thus, I make them myself. I think I'll make some the next time I do a spacthcock chicken. I'm also thinking I might use some leftover brisket for a "spin" on beef enchiladas.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2013
    My wife did the same in the oven with left over spatchcock last night. I would like to see some of your sauces.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Those look great Griff, Bookmarked!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    What's involved to make the sauce? I'd really like to try this , I can't ever get the wife to make Mexican food
  • Griffin
    Melt 1/4 cup of butter, whisk in 2 tbsp flour and cook till you have a light blonde roux. Slowly stir in 2 cups of chicken stock. Cook until thickened, then add 8oz of sour cream, 2 diced jalapenos, 4 oz green chilies and a bit of Monterrey jack cheese, warm through but don't allow to come to a boil. It's all on my blog if you need ingredients, directions or extra pictures.

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Griffin said:
    Melt 1/4 cup of butter, whisk in 2 tbsp flour and cook till you have a light blonde roux. Slowly stir in 2 cups of chicken stock. Cook until thickened, then add 8oz of sour cream, 2 diced jalapenos, 4 oz green chilies and a bit of Monterrey jack cheese, warm through but don't allow to come to a boil. It's all on my blog if you need ingredients, directions or extra pictures.
    ah, start with a veloute sauce...as many good dishes do

Those look great!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @Griffin just a friendly BUMP as I have made this dish 10 times, and making it again rmrw for a buddy who just had a Baby . . . thanks for providing our fam with a staple !!!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Excellent use of leftovers! 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited March 2019
    fence0407 said:
    exactly . . spatchcock today, enchilladas tmrw.  My wife likes this more than any red/green enchillada sauce.  The blond ROUX & "lightly fried" tortillas (well warmed in oil to make wrapping easy) makes this special.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    NDG said:
    fence0407 said:
    exactly . . spatchcock today, enchilladas tmrw.  My wife likes this more than any red/green enchillada sauce.  The blond ROUX & "lightly fried" tortillas (well warmed in oil to make wrapping easy) makes this special.
    Bookmarked for sure!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• glad this surfaced, added to the "list"  =)
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Griffin
    Damn!! We haven't made that in forever. Thanks for reminding me.

Rowlett, Texas