Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Take price & availability out of the Egquation

Since buying my Egg a little over a year ago I have tried a few different lumps but have mostly used Wick Good WW. Recently the store I buy at (about 25 minutes away) has stopped selling WGWW . First they switched to Komado Joe and now Dragon Breath and I have not been happy with either. This week I found out our local Home Hardware is now a BGE dealer and sells BGE lump for about $1.50 more a bag but is only 5 minutes from home so I decided to try a bag. Well I did my first cook with it last night and I liked it, mind you it is a very small sample size lol .I So it got me thinking "If you take price and availability out of the equation which lump would be your GO TO ? "

Comments

• claybrn
    claybrn Posts: 31
    If I could get the "old" WGWW (i.e. the green bag), that would be GO TO, no questions asked.  Since the newer stuff has been crap, my new GO TO is Nature Own Sugar Maple Lump...it takes a bit of effort for me to get (similar to your effort to get WGWW), but it's worth it to me.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I like Basques, Sugar Maple. It starts quickly, burns well (not as hot as some), produces little ash and adds mild smoke flavour. 
    Here on the left coast it is only available at Lowe's. Originally it was $14 for a 8Kg bag now it is close to $20. I usually use RO, but whatever is on sale is worth a try, SWMBO calls me a "Lump Whore".  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Maple Leaf is the best IMHO. Basques (Natures Own) is good too. BGE Lump is just Royal Oak. It's OK but nowhere near what the other two are. You should be able to get RO at Canadian Tire. Lowes had a two for one sale on it on the weekend but I think it ended on the second.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

BGE is my backup - I know it will do what I want.   Used to prefer WGWW - but that's off the table now.

Looking more and more like Rockwood may be it for me.  Doing some more cooking with it this weekend.

I get pretty specific about charcoal cause I mostly cook at lower heat.  If you are cooking mainly at higher temps, 350+ not sure that the brand makes that much difference.

I love Ozark Oak for cooking at 350 or above.   Got tired of the problems with lower temp cooks.

Cookin in Texas
  • I use the COSTCO nature's own, @ $12 for 8 kg, you can't go wrong.
    Stocking up for the winter season from now, when COSTCO will not carry it, up to 12 bags :D
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Komodo Sustainable Coconut Charcoal, but its healla expensive.

aimage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    would be maple leaf if i could get it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Central market lump.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Since buying my Egg a little over a year ago I have tried a few different lumps but have mostly used Wick Good WW. Recently the store I buy at (about 25 minutes away) has stopped selling WGWW . First they switched to Komado Joe and now Dragon Breath and I have not been happy with either. This week I found out our local Home Hardware is now a BGE dealer and sells BGE lump for about $1.50 more a bag but is only 5 minutes from home so I decided to try a bag. Well I did my first cook with it last night and I liked it, mind you it is a very small sample size lol .I So it got me thinking "If you take price and availability out of the equation which lump would be your GO TO ? "

What didn't you like about Dragon Breath.  I used over 10 bags and thought it was great. 

I like Rockwood a lot - very little sparking, burns evenly on low and slows, and gets hot enough to turn the insides of my XLs white again.  Very mild flavor.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109

I love Maple Leaf - hard to get in the US unless you have a Canadian Connection.  If I could get it readily -- its all I would buy! Next would be WGWW and then RO - easy to get/cheap and it gets the job done...

Want to try OO but can't find it locally. 

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Ozark Oak. Love the way it lights, smells, and cooks. Zero complaints.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    No cost, no availability issues, no brainer:

http://korin.com/White-Binchotan-Charcoal

20lb bag is $150.  Burns hot and almost no ash and zero smoke flavor.  As a matter of fact, this stuff can be used indoors.