Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spritzing Spare Ribs vs Foiling

claybrn
claybrn Posts: 31
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
We had planned on cooking baby backs tomorrow for the 4th, but one of the outlaws has decided they'd rather have a slab of spares and brought over a slab.  I normally spritz my baby backs during the cook instead of foiling them...I use a solution of apple cider vinegar, apple juice, liquid butter, and bourbon.  I've never cooked spares, but know that most people subscribe to the 3-2-1 method.  Does anyone have any experience spritzing instead of foiling?  If so, how does it impact cook time?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I cut mine down. Hour and thirty, cover in honey and foul... Thirty minutes sauced... Try it. Temp, 300 dome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Trim the spares St Louis style (google for the technique).  Spares generally take around 45-60 Mins longer than baby backs but you can cook them with the same approach-spritz, foil, X-X-X or just put them on and go til finished without any treatment during the cook.  Use the same finish indicators as BB's -bend test or tooth-pick test with meat pull back on the bones.  Should work out just fine-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297

I have not foiled a rib in over 10 years.  For babys or spares I start them 225-250 bone side down first 3-4 hours and spritz after 2 hours every 30 minutes. After 4 hours I turn every 30 minutes until ready. Usually ready in 4-6 hours depending on thickness ande type beef ar about 6 hours.

Spritz is 1/3 water, 1/3 apple cider vinegar and then as third of either apple cider, orange juice, bbq sauce or soy depending on mood of the moment.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551

personally i dont spritz or foil but Lou is right- they will take longer- I like to put the trimmed part of spares on the grill too.  It will be ready much faster and makes a nice mid cook snack for the chef (plus good taste test for flavor).

Greensboro, NC
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I do St Louis style at 275/285 no spritz or foil. Pull them when they pass the bend test. They come out great. Last spare took 3 hours. I do like Wolfpack and cook the trimmings or save to grind and make pork burgers.
  • claybrn
    claybrn Posts: 31

I have not foiled a rib in over 10 years.  For babys or spares I start them 225-250 bone side down first 3-4 hours and spritz after 2 hours every 30 minutes. After 4 hours I turn every 30 minutes until ready. Usually ready in 4-6 hours depending on thickness ande type beef ar about 6 hours.

Spritz is 1/3 water, 1/3 apple cider vinegar and then as third of either apple cider, orange juice, bbq sauce or soy depending on mood of the moment.

When you say you turn them, I assume you mean you "flip" between meat side and bone side down?  I had never thought of that....does it help with the bark?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2013

claybrn said:

When you say you turn them, I assume you mean you "flip" between meat side and bone side down?  I had never thought of that....does it help with the bark?

The bark is nice and if you do not put the sauce on until the last 1/2 hour or so it works for me.  Yes flipping is just turning over.  For this reason I almost never use a rib rack.
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115

I put the trimmed parts in my baked beans,after they have been

smoked 2-3hrs.

Snellville,Ga.