Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook quesadillas ?

Anyone have any advice on what cooking approach to take for quesadillas? Was originally going to cook them on a CI skillet but after reading up a little, see some folks cook directly on the grate and others on the platesetter or pizza stone.

Would love your thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551

I would do in cast iron as I like to cook them in oil or butter...

Greensboro, NC
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Personally, I have a griddle I use for this type of cook. If I did not, I would default to a CI skillet, then a pizza stone, then directly on grate last. Just personal preference, but this would be my order of preference. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I start them in the microwave to get the cheese to hold then grill

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bcran
    bcran Posts: 37

my only experience is with a gas grill.  I haven't tried them on the Egg yet.  Medium-high heat, leave the lid open and cook direct on the grill until you have grill marks and the cheese is melted.  Flip and repeat.  

I was thinking about how to accomplish this on the Egg the other day.  Would probably keep the heat around 300 and do it with the lid closed, directly on the grate.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Griddle with ci skillet. I cook bacon and save the grease. I use the bacon in the Quesadilla. Keep the skillet on the griddle. Make yourQuesadilla but put the top tortilla in the skillet with a little grease and brown. Put the top back on, place on the griddle with the hot skillet on top.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I've done them with pita pockets, helps to keep everything in when flipping (the texture ain't correct, but it ain't bad).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Ask @Dyal_SC. He's known on another form as the Quesadilla Queen. Ok, I call him that but only because he makes freaking beautiful quesadillas out of leftovers. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have used all three methods. It really doesn't matter. I do like Little Steven's idea of melting cheese in microwave first. I have found that if you make the quesadilla on one tortilla and fold it over that it makes flipping much easier and you don't loose your stuff. I also baste them with butter just before adding to the fire. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited July 2013
    I've done them both on a griddle grate or on the grill. Really is a matter of what flavor you like. With the griddle and using some butter you do get a more buttery flavor. On the open grill I use olive oil to oil the grill grates. This giver you more of a straight charred flavor. Be sure the grilling surface is well oiled. I have found the key to good quesadillas is keeping the temps down fairly low. Quesadillas can go from zero to burnt in seconds. I get my griddle or grate to around 325 degrees surface temp. At this temp you have time for the ingredients to melt and get nice grill marks without the tortilla burning. I do them with the lid down, but keep a close eye on them as they can go from zero to burnt at the blink of an eye. Particularly if your temps are too high.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have never done quesadilla's but now I want to.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I do them quite often.  I use my BakingSteel and before that the pizza stone.  I put a little olive oil on the BS for crispiness. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    edited July 2013
    Love grilling up some quesadillas. I've done them on the stone before, but they turn out too "flaky" for my taste. The tortillas sorta flake apart a little. Personally like using the direct method on either the CI grid or the SS grid. If using the CI grid, I pay close attention to them as to not burn them, and I also grill them at a lowER temp...somewhere around 325 deg f dome temp. If using the SS grid, you can go a little higher on the temp. I use Pam or brush on some butter to keep the tortillas from sticking.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I love making quesadillas, on my stove, lol.