Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Spritzing Spare Ribs vs Foiling

claybrnclaybrn Posts: 31
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
We had planned on cooking baby backs tomorrow for the 4th, but one of the outlaws has decided they'd rather have a slab of spares and brought over a slab.  I normally spritz my baby backs during the cook instead of foiling them...I use a solution of apple cider vinegar, apple juice, liquid butter, and bourbon.  I've never cooked spares, but know that most people subscribe to the 3-2-1 method.  Does anyone have any experience spritzing instead of foiling?  If so, how does it impact cook time?

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 9,561
    I cut mine down. Hour and thirty, cover in honey and foul... Thirty minutes sauced... Try it. Temp, 300 dome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,176
    Trim the spares St Louis style (google for the technique).  Spares generally take around 45-60 Mins longer than baby backs but you can cook them with the same approach-spritz, foil, X-X-X or just put them on and go til finished without any treatment during the cook.  Use the same finish indicators as BB's -bend test or tooth-pick test with meat pull back on the bones.  Should work out just fine-
    Louisville
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,478

I have not foiled a rib in over 10 years.  For babys or spares I start them 225-250 bone side down first 3-4 hours and spritz after 2 hours every 30 minutes. After 4 hours I turn every 30 minutes until ready. Usually ready in 4-6 hours depending on thickness ande type beef ar about 6 hours.

Spritz is 1/3 water, 1/3 apple cider vinegar and then as third of either apple cider, orange juice, bbq sauce or soy depending on mood of the moment.

• WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 661

personally i dont spritz or foil but Lou is right- they will take longer- I like to put the trimmed part of spares on the grill too.  It will be ready much faster and makes a nice mid cook snack for the chef (plus good taste test for flavor).

Greensboro, NC
  • smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 165
    I do St Louis style at 275/285 no spritz or foil. Pull them when they pass the bend test. They come out great. Last spare took 3 hours. I do like Wolfpack and cook the trimmings or save to grind and make pork burgers.
  • claybrnclaybrn Posts: 31

I have not foiled a rib in over 10 years.  For babys or spares I start them 225-250 bone side down first 3-4 hours and spritz after 2 hours every 30 minutes. After 4 hours I turn every 30 minutes until ready. Usually ready in 4-6 hours depending on thickness ande type beef ar about 6 hours.

Spritz is 1/3 water, 1/3 apple cider vinegar and then as third of either apple cider, orange juice, bbq sauce or soy depending on mood of the moment.

When you say you turn them, I assume you mean you "flip" between meat side and bone side down?  I had never thought of that....does it help with the bark?
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,478
    edited July 2013

claybrn said:

When you say you turn them, I assume you mean you "flip" between meat side and bone side down?  I had never thought of that....does it help with the bark?

The bark is nice and if you do not put the sauce on until the last 1/2 hour or so it works for me.  Yes flipping is just turning over.  For this reason I almost never use a rib rack.
  • pkaboo1pkaboo1 Posts: 99

I put the trimmed parts in my baked beans,after they have been

smoked 2-3hrs.

Snellville,Ga.