Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help on how to fix issue with LBGE

I was cooking on the egg last night and when I lifted the lid to turn the chicken.  The lid felt like it slide back some when closing it so I started looking around and found that the back of the dome was hanging off the bottom part.  I also saw the front had a bad under bite.  So I took off the food I was cooking and finished in the kitchen and shutdown the egg.  So this morning I was going to see what was wrong and lifted the lid again and now it will not close all the way down.  It also sounds like a grinding noise when I try to close the lid.  I am not sure on how to fix this as I have only had the egg for 3 months.  I have also added some pictures as well so you can see what I am talking about.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It may be your band assembly.You can try readjusting the bands but I wonder if the whole mechanism is compromised. Take more pics and show your dealer.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I suspect the hinge/band bracket is loose.  Adjusting the bands up and down the lid will help with the gap between the top and bottom, but the front back alignment like that has to be the hinge.  I bet you will find one or more of the bolts in the hinge is loose.  
    Here is a thread that might help start the troubleshooting process.: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134217/dome-alignment
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited July 2013
    Looks more severe than it is. Grab a buddy and have them come over. Loosen all the bolts on the band. Slide them all the way up or down, realign the dome, and then retighten. Make sure you tighten until the bolts bend. Have the buddy hold the dome in place until you are finished. If this sounds confusing there are youtube videos, but they are a little more in depth.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • freedog74
    freedog74 Posts: 63
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone!  If I am understanding everyone correctly this is caused by the bands becoming loosen?  Also is the grinding noise anything to worry about or is that caused by the loosen of the bands as well?
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2013
    it just requires a little adjustment. I took my dome off to install my egg in my cart. Afterwards, I made sure to better align the dome and it works much better than it did before i adjusted. You may not need a friend, as I moved my XL by myself. I am an impatient person so I couldn't wait for friends to come over and help. 

Just loosen the bands, re-align, re-tighten (making sure everything is the way you want it). 

I grabbed a beer and took my time and everything is all sortied out. I have faith in you. - LOL
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2013
    the grinding noise may be your springs. Adjust everything and the noise may go away. 

Have you checked/re-tighten the nuts and bolts recently? I keep my socket wrench near my table so I can check them from time to time. Since I re-adjusted last weekend, I checked them the last few cooks and I have been fine. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • freedog74
    @GATABITES I have not check/re-tighten the nuts and bolts in the last week or so but I did check them about 2weeks ago.  Do any of you think i need to check the bolts in hinge to see if they are too tight and causing this issue?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Don't forget to put the hinge lock on. If you assembled your egg yourself, just redo it. By the amount of underbite, i think the grinding might be dome against base rubbing. 
    Use a torque wrench to adjust the band bolts, given you will have your egg for years and changing a gasket now and then, spend $20 (less than a couple bags of lump) on a torque wrench and do it right.
    Good luck
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Based on your pictures, you bottom band rode up in the back. 
    I would use the hinge lock if I knew that I got them.  I got my egg from eggfest as a demo model so I am not sure if those were put with the egg when I picked it up or not.  Also can you re-adjust the bands with that much gap between the dome and base without having issues?
  • Skiddymarker
    Based on your pictures, you bottom band rode up in the back. 
    And the top one looks to be down, worst of both worlds. 
    Loosen (do not remove) the bands, reposition the dome, and then retighten. You can zap strap the hinge closed if you do not have the lock, the idea is to keep the hinge from opening on its own due to the spring assist. It can chunks of skin with it if you are not careful. 
    Watch that the dome doesn't fall off on you, advise an extra pair of hands. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • freedog74
    @Skiddymarker how can i reposition the dome with it is not closed all the way to the base?  I have been looking at it more and it appears something is in some kind of bind in the hinge but not sure what.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

It may just be the picture but it looks like you have 2 gasket sets. Is this something new?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • freedog74
    I only have one gasket installed on the egg to my knowledge.
  • Skiddymarker
    freedog74 said:
    @Skiddymarker how can i reposition the dome with it is not closed all the way to the base?  I have been looking at it more and it appears something is in some kind of bind in the hinge but not sure what.
    Loosen the top band and the dome will simply fall to the base. Don't let it get away from you, or it could fall right off. The idea is to get the dome and base lined up, then install the bands. The dome should not move when you tighten the bands. Make sure the hinge has play, ie the bolts must allow the parts to move, that's why they have lock nuts. Band bolts, tighten.