Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biscuits? You know, the breakfast kind...

Options

I'm planning to make biscuits for breakfast tomorrow and want to use my Egg.  Does anyone have tips for this?  I suspect I'll try to use my dutch oven as the nifty recipe I've come across seems rather "wet".  My first query is direct v. indirect while using the DO?  I'd appreciate any info and experience you might could share...I love cooking with this piece of outdoor-kitchen-awesomeness!!!  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Most recipes I have tried seem wet but I have always had good luck with a sheet pan. I made a big biscuit with it as a "pizza crust" for a breakfast pizza and the man worked well. Go indirect or you may burn the bottom and use a spacer between the pan and the deflector. You can put the biscuits into the pan individually and they should still pull apart. The tops and bottoms should be crispy enough to compensate for the sides being soft from touching.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

Use the least smokey lump you can and don't add any wood.  Biscuits in particular have a tendency to pick up smoke flavor and taste like an ash tray.  With the dutch oven, it may not be an issue, and if you end up doing this several times you may decide you like the smokey flavor, but for the first one I would go easy on the smoke.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    definately indirect and i would cook with pizza setup- real basic one would be, if you have a plate setter, go legs up and then grate with pizza stone on top of grate.  just make sure you have an air gap between heat diffuser and cooking surface or you will burn the bottom of the biscuits.  Cooking temps and times should mirror oven directions.
    Greensboro, NC
  • spursinwichita
    Options
    Thank You All! Mr. Pack, does there need to be an air gap between the pizza stone and the buiscits, or does the plate setter provide the necessary air space?
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    I've done breakfast on the egg a lot recently, starting with biscuits.  As @Foghorn said, it's important to get your egg stabilized and smoke free first.  I do platesetter legs up then grid.  I have a Lodge CI round griddle that I load up with biscuits, cold, and put on a 400-450 degree egg.  Done in about 20 minutes.  Take the biscuits off with tongs, and the griddle is perfectly heated for bacon and eggs.
    Mamaroneck
  • spursinwichita
    Options
    Well.....mostly a failure.  I had significant temp control issues due to unforeseeable circumstances.  Totally user error.  However, the "biscuit tops" were quite delicious -- and I managed to minimize the smoky taste by cooking them covered in the DO.  I will have to figure out the "air layer" a bit better.  Cornbread crusts should be reserved for cornbread.  My bad.  Thanks, guys, for your advice.  The journey continues!!