Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low and slow chicken legs

Options
I'm cooking alot of chicken legs for a friend's 4th of July party.  I'm going to brine for about 90 minutes, and then low and slow at about 225-250, with some apple chips.  I've never cooked just chicken legs on the egg.  Does low and slow make sense?  About how long should it take to cook?  thanks

Comments

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    I do mine raised direct @350-400 for 45 minutes or until temp.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Brining is good.  You want to shoot for 175F internal temp.  You can slow it up and pick up more smoke or cook them fast.  It's all good.  Crisping the skin is a good reason to do them like Furall advised.
    Options
    I've had good luck indirect, 400, no skin, add your favorite rub at the beginning.  last fifteen minutes add bbq sauce. Who doesn't love a good drumstick?   

alternatively, if you are really into brining and want deliciously flavored meat, this is a FANTASTIC recipe:

Ingredients

• 2 cups buttermilk
    • 2 cups cold water
    • 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup hot sauce
    • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
    • 1 tablespoon freshly cracked pepper
    • 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
    • 1 lemon, thinly sliced
    • 3 garlic cloves, halved
    • 1 (3 1/2- to 4-lb.) cut-up whole chicken

Preparation

1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved; stir in onion and next 2 ingredients.

2. Place buttermilk mixture and chicken in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal and chill 24 hours. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade; pat chicken dry with paper towels.

3. Light 1 side of grill, heating to 300° to 350° (medium) heat. Place chicken, skin side up, over unlit side, and grill, covered with grill lid, 40 to 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°. Transfer chicken, skin side down, to lit side of grill, and grill 2 to 3 minutes or until skin is crispy. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    With dark meat, I like to cook it at 350 dome temp indirect for an hour to an hour and a half.  I take the internal temp to 200 and the meat is very juicy and tender.  The higher cook temp will give crispy skin.  -RP
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nothing wrong with low and slow, but you'll end up with a rubbery skin more than likely.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings