Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Filet Mignon (pix heavy)

J_Que
J_Que Posts: 223
edited July 2013 in Beef
The wife was away for the weekend, so I decided to break out the Sous Vide and try my first SV Steak. I was going to give it a shot with a choice cut as it was my first time, but my butcher was having a special on Prime Filets and I couldn't resist. Deciding on a cooking temp was another thing. After some serious internet sleuthing I decided on 139. Rubbed it with a little DP Red Eye Express, packaged it up and dropped it in the bath for about 90 minutes. Once finished, It was over to the Egg for a quick sear on the cast iron at 700. Paired it up with a Wiz baked potato and many many Coronas.

Now I know why I dropped 5 C notes on a water bath.

Hope you enjoy J  
I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.  Prime.  You don't eff around. 

With steaks, you're basically "hot-tubing" them.  So pick a temp that corresponds to how you like your steak done and keep it, depending on thickness, under a couple of hours.
    I am not a supporter of red meat in the sous vide even though that looks really good. I do more of a hot tub at 108 degrees in the sous vide for an hour or so then sear then smoke to 128. That's how I cook all my red meat just so there's time to sear and then get the smoky flavor but still not cook it long enough to dry it out.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Great job! I do filet's SV style all the time and feel it is the best method. Perfect temp all the way through the meat. Great for cooking multiple steaks as it ensures each steak is cooked correctly despite differences in size. 139 degrees seems a little warm (though your pic's look nice and med-rare), I SV at 125-130 pre-sear.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• buckhall
    buckhall Posts: 20
    I've had SV filet, strips and ribeyes at Rare Cuts in New Orleans...they do family style private parties.  125 for 10hrs...unbelievable...and yes, they seered them on an XL BGE...like butter.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Very good looking pics.

I am a big fan of hot-tubbing steaks always!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I've got a SousVide Supreme that I've had for 2 months now. 

I like doing a reverse sear better for steaks because you just don't get the smokiness from the sear part after a sous vide cook.  It still makes a good steak, I just like reverse sear a little better.

But the Sous Vide does make some dynamite food and it is convenient for days when I only have a little time to grill because of work/football practice/ etc.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This