Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Egg

Options
Has anyone experienced an egg cracking due to heat. I have my large egg in a cart. I purchased this egg in November 2011. The whole lower section approximately 3" down from the opening cracked and broke off all around the circumference of the egg. I have contacted customer service and haven't had a response yet.

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    how much gap was there between the table and the side of the egg?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When and how have you tried to contact the mothership? Give them a call. Warranty replacement should be no issue.

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

Based on the way the egg broke cleanly at the top of the table my thought would be the egg expanded during a hot cook and must have pushed against your table.  Assuming this happened alot over the 2 years you have owned your egg andit finally gave.  How much of a gap do you have between your egg and the table? 

Not sure if BGE headquarters gives a clearance, but the table i got through them has about a 1/2" all the way around.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    wow! never seen one like that. As long as you bought it new at a legit dealer, you are fine. I just had my base replaced after 8 years a few months ago. They are really good about taking care of their warranty stuff as long as you buy it new.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    If that table is not the cause of the crack, then the location of the crack is an incredible coincidence.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    dont know how they will respond to this, that crack looks like a design flaw in the table opening being to tight that caused it, not from a defective base
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options

dont know how they will respond to this, that crack looks like a design flaw in the table opening being to tight that caused it, not from a defective base
    I agree with Fishless I think your table is too tight
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    The hole opening for a large BGE needs to be 21" or more. That is right from the web page for large table specs. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I was curious what the table top is made of?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    Does anyone have the whereabouts of the mother ship and how to contact them with ph# and contact to talk to?   Thanks in advance

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I have 2 things for ya,

1. Very sorry for your loss, cracked eggs hurt so bad to see.

2. This is for sure from the cart. That being said, where did you purchase the cart? I assume your dealer. It not being a bge labeled cart, the fault would fall back on the table builder/seller and I would be a little hesitant to say bge would replace this egg. But I feel like you could get something from the table dealer.

Unless of course you were supposed to use feet or a paver under the egg, just lifting it an inch would have given you the clearance around the egg needed.

XLBGE 
  • freff
    freff Posts: 11
    Options
    As a dealer of the BGE product and a user for some 19 years I have never seen this happen , but having said this if you did , in fact buy it from a legit DEALER , and not over the internet , (everyone wants to try and copycat the WORLD'S GREATEST SMOKER &GRILL), than that dealer should have no problem having that replaced for you. It starts with a picture , and a story, and I've heard some stories, and then it goes from there. BGE stands by there product and I do too, just let me know the truth coz I get real protective of my guys. The 2 comments about the clearance around a half inch to the edge of the table and the feet or paver not being under it kinda make sense , or a custimized table, or whatever just start with an EGG DEALER , and go from there.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I have never heard of this happening.

I don't think it would be related to the expansion into the table, 1/2 inch all the way around would mean the egg was expanding more than an inch???   Think about the steel bands around the top and bottom, they are not expanding an inch during a cook.

Definitely not an engineer here - so take this with a grain of Sea Salt - I wonder if the above the table and the below the table are cooling at different rates in cold weather.  Maybe the below the table is more insulated and cools slower than the top and that over time created a stress factor.   Once again - just a scratching my head guess....

I would expect that BGE would be very interested in resolving.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Looking closer at the pic. the bottom half is open to the air.   What if the issue was that the table was expanding, not the egg.   Not sure if that holds water or not, since the outside of the Egg just doesn't get that hot - unless you were doing a lot of high temp cooks.

The line of the break following the table top I think is too clean to not be related to the placement of the Egg in the table.  Hard for that to be a coincidental manufacturing issue.

Cookin in Texas