Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Rice Cooker Sous Vide

Comments

• BREWnQBREWnQ Posts: 197
    Or if you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can get one of these.  I don't have a Rice cooker so I can't say it will work, but I do have one on my freezer for beer brewing and it works well.  I'm not very crafty and I built it in an electrical junction box in about 30min.

Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 338
    I'm seriously thinking of taking the leap on ths but no guarantees for product and waiting until March or April
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,656
    Yeah i NEVER do kickstarter projects.  Its donating a monetary amount with no promise of ever getting anything in return.  But i like to keep my eye on things
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,167

I have a little trouble with these retro fit things, they can control only the on cycle of the heating, in other words they get to a temp and shut the power off. There will be carryover heat from the mechanical makeup of the cooker. Overshooting and cooling can be a problem with respect to food safety. There is also the consideration that since there is no circulation, there can be stratification of the water and also trapped pockets of warmer or cooler water against your product. Just saying, you are on the hairy edge of pasteurization with some of the stuff in sous vide and a few degrees of variation can be a big problem.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tamu2009tamu2009 Posts: 233
    Care to elaborate on the pasteruization comment? I've been interested in sous vide for a while now, and my dad has been doing it by heating water to XX degrees and putting it in a ice chest with whatever he's cooking. I sure would like to educate him if he's doing something that might not be good...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE - Custom Table - CGW Swing Grate - Fastest Thermapen you can't see because it's camo- Been e-gging ever since 2013! - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,154
    Bacteria grows like crazy between 40 and 131F.  You don't want to keep food between that range for more than 4 hours.  The FDA says 140 is the upper bad limit, but that includes a margin of safety.  if you're above 131 for > 4 hours or at 160 for 1 minute, you've effectively pasteurized the common active bacteria.   A little salt and acid and you're good.  Things like botulism spores can take boiling water - that's why canning uses 15 psi pressure - 250F to kill the spores.  Or add a little acid - vinegar or citrus.

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,167
    It all depends on the temperature. If you are doing chicken breast at 147* it will not get any hotter than the water so it can't reach the FDA temp of 165* That  (165*) is the temp at which pasteurization occurs almost instantly. By keeping it at 147* for roughly an hour and a half it is pasteurized as a product of the time and the temp. In the case of beef, you go to the temp of 131* minimum (boy did I find that out the hard way) for X time. The time is relative to the thickness of the cut so in some cases you can be at 131* for longer than the four hour maximum exposure to temps in the "Danger Zone" yet the meat is still pasteurized. Not all sous vide is done this way and longer cooks can accomplish tenderization of tougher cuts at "safe" temps but if you are on the minimum edge of something you really want to have the precise temp and circulation.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I'll routinely go below 131F, but only for less than a couple of hours at most.  Helps that most of the bacteria is on the outside of the meat, and the outside heats up the fastest.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,692
    bacteria, shmacteria. I already have 100 trillion in my gut.
  • LitLit Posts: 2,637
    I have a buddy that has been using a auber instruments PID with a rice cooker for years and it works fine. I have seen him use it multiple times and it stays within a couple degrees. You can also get a fan and vent draft adaptor and use it to control egg temperature.
  • OptiontraderOptiontrader Posts: 171
    Check this out.  It may be helpful.

Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • McStewMcStew Posts: 222

I started with a rice cooker then switched to a bucket heater with the same controller, its keeps the water within 1/2 degree plus or minus works great total cost was about $50 and time to make it.

sv.JPG
    478 x 640 - 86K
    Marina Del Rey CA 
  • BREWnQBREWnQ Posts: 197
    Awesome I knew it could be done with that little controller.  I'm stoked all I need is a heater and I'm good to go!
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA

That's awesome.  I'm buying it.  I like Polyscience - have some equipment from them including a sous vide apparatus.

• McStewMcStew Posts: 222

@brewnq get an aquarium air pump too, this will avoid any cold spots in the water then your ready to go. 

Marina Del Rey CA 
  • OptiontraderOptiontrader Posts: 171

That's awesome.  I'm buying it.  I like Polyscience - have some equipment from them including a sous vide apparatus.
    It was because of your good reviews of the Polyscience equipment that I got one myself.  It works like a champ.  Combined with the app and I think it is hard to beat.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)