Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egging in the rain - question

tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,736

I have a LBGE and I'm turbo cooking a BB right now. It is raining in the ATL and I have put my rain cap on the egg. I bought it at Lowe's and have seen pictures on the site. Stainless steel and sits about 4-5 inches above the DFMT.

Question - do I need to adjust any of the vents/DFMT to compensate for the rain cap? Smoke seems to be flowing pretty good right now. Have never used this setup before.

Thanks

LBGE, Marietta, GA
·

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,910
    You'll be fine.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 359
    You won't have any problems, I too am dealing with the Atlanta area weather. At least the temperature is nice, in the 70's or 80's instead of the mid 90's or worse.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Question - do I need to adjust any of the vents/DFMT to compensate for the rain cap?

NO.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    please send pictures of this rain cap on your egg im very curious  because it seems to be raining every time I do a cook 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
    Here's mine. 6" chimney cap bought at TSC. Fits perfectly around the DFMT.
    image.jpg 2.6M

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,842
    shtgunal3 said:
    Here's mine. 6" chimney cap bought at TSC. Fits perfectly around the DFMT.
    You're not going to make very many bank shots on that basketball hoop.
    ·
    That's what happens when your kid uses the backboard for target practice with a paintball gun.

·
    shtgunal3 said:
    That's what happens when your kid uses the backboard for target practice with a paintball gun.
    He has a great jump shot, apparently.
    ·
    edited July 2013
    tulocay,

I have one of these: image

It works quite well as a replacement for the DFMT. It costs about 38 bucks.

EDIT: Here is the website.
    ·
  • pkaboo1pkaboo1 Posts: 111
    Let it rain.
    zz6.JPG 1.1M
    Snellville,Ga.
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,039
    tulocay,

I have one of these: image

It works quite well as a replacement for the DFMT. It costs about 38 bucks.

EDIT: Here is the website.
    @eggcelsior - where did you get that? Nice
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
    edited July 2013
    @gatabites eggware.net

You can get 15% off by entering the code "MIKE"
    ·