Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Pulled Pork For Wife's Work

Wife signed me up to make pulled pork for one of her stores and I'm gonna make it on the 3rd and she'll bring it in on the 4th.

What's the best way for her to reheat it without drying out the meat?  

She does not have an oven in the break room.
Large BGE

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    you have a crockpot?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Can you time it to come off around 5 hrs before she needs it?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737

I asked the same question earlier today. I got a couple of answers, basically the same. Here is one of them:

I cooked 24 lbs for my wife for a school lunch in at the end of the year. I semi turbo cooked, ftc'd  & pulled the night prior, she took the pull'd pork in cooler to her school. Used a nesco on med low to get heat into the meat, then down to low, then stay warm setting. I had injected the butts, so there was a lot of juice while pulling. I captured as much of that as I could and included in the containers I packed the pork in. Wish I also would have kept some of the leftover injection to add while reheating if it would have needed it. Good news was the Pork didn't dry out on re-heat. Could also add in Bone Sucking Sauce or Blues Sauce while re-heating to add moisture if needed ? 
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Crockpot with some apple juice added for moisture works pretty well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I would time it out to not be done until right before she leaves for work. FTC and it will be good to go at lunch time. That's what I did for a customer of mine on memorial day weekend. I FTC them at 6:00 am and we pulled them at 11:00 for lunch. It was still steaming hot and delicious.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392

Honestly, I would pull it and put it in foil pans covered with foil. Put the pans in a 250 degree oven about 2 hours prior to service. Should be perfect!!!

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I put it in a vacuum sealed bag and reheated in boiling water on a beach for a work event I had last year.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    You can also put it on a plate, wet a paper towel fully, wring it out a little and squeeze a little bit, like about 1-2 teaspoons of the water over the meat and then cover the pulled pork with the wet paper towel and reheat in the microwave. Every time I do this the meat come out warm and moist. It's like you are steaming it. Sounds gross but it really works. I was skeptical about this process but I tried it and it worked.

Also works the same with any other meats or ribs or rice.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    The best method I've found it involves the use of a vacuum sealer, like a FoodSaver. After I pull the pork, I sauce it and put it in multiple FoodSaver bags. On the day of your event you heat one or more large pans of water to 170°. I use a candy thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature. For pulled pork I heat the bags for 45 minutes or so at 170°. The beauty is you're not cooking the pulled pork anymore, you are just gently reheating it. If you're guests are late or you need to give it more time before serving, don't worry because at 170 it won't dry out. The best part of all this for me is with the vacuum sealing the sauce has been squeezed into the meat and it's like a super marinade process. Good luck with whatever method you do end up using!

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    smoke and pull in advance. Deal with the issue of heating later. PP can standby for hours or days. The key is a good vinegar sauce. think of is as lube. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Keep it simple.  Pull it and put it in a crockpot with a few good sprays of apple juice.
  • I would time it out to not be done until right before she leaves for work. FTC and it will be good to go at lunch time. That's what I did for a customer of mine on memorial day weekend. I FTC them at 6:00 am and we pulled them at 11:00 for lunch. It was still steaming hot and delicious.

Doing the same thing for work tomorrow.  Will start when I get home this evening and hopefully pull them off @ 7:30 AM, FTC and on to work for lunch at 11:30 AM.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I did 10 lbs for the beach. Egged it and pulled on Weds., then into a giant ziplock to chill and transport. Saturday dinner had only about an hour to heat, so 3 lbs at a time in the microwave, then all into a crockpot with water as neded for moisture. This is not a competition audience-was a huge hit.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY