Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally nailed a brisket!!

CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've done a fair number of briskets on my offset smoker, and never come close to really good BBQ restaurant results. Did my first brisket on BGE today, and thanks to all the information on this forum really nailed it. It was literally falling apart as I lifted it. .

Started with a 7.5 Choice brisket; injected with beef bouillon and Worcestershire, rubbed with mustard, Dizzy Pig, salt, pepper and put in refrigerator for 36 hours.

Threw on Egg this morning at 5:30, 275-285 grate, and cooked until 160 internal. Then went with Travis method and put in foil pan with two bottles of Claude's and two Abita Amber, continued to cook until internal 195-205 (depending on location). Pulled off and wrapped foil pan with brisket and juice, covered, and let sit three hours. Total cook time 9 hours plus 2 hours foiled in juices.

Turned out fork tender and super moist. Good smoke ring and pretty good bark (not soggy at all). The middle maybe quarter was drier and not as tender...not sure if it was the particular cut or if I pulled a little too soon. Overall very pleased, easily the best brisket I've ever done.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks and sounds like a great cook! =D> It is always nice to hit a home run with brisket!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Congratulations! They get easier every time!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Congrats...they're a difficult cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    Congrats! 

I started putting mine back on an open grill after letting it rest.  It makes the bark crunchy again.  Anyone else had luck with that?
  • That feeling of accomplishment (and excitement) when you open it up and it looks and tastes pretty good.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Awesome!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Badong said:
    Congrats! 

I started putting mine back on an open grill after letting it rest.  It makes the bark crunchy again.  Anyone else had luck with that?
    Must be right if you do it!

just kidding bud, never heard that, but many different ways to skin a cat

XLBGE 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    CPARKTX said:
    I've done a fair number of briskets on my offset smoker, and never come close to really good BBQ restaurant results. Did my first brisket on BGE today, and thanks to all the information on this forum really nailed it. It was literally falling apart as I lifted it. .

Started with a 7.5 Choice brisket; injected with beef bouillon and Worcestershire, rubbed with mustard, Dizzy Pig, salt, pepper and put in refrigerator for 36 hours.

Threw on Egg this morning at 5:30, 275-285 grate, and cooked until 160 internal. Then went with Travis method and put in foil pan with two bottles of Claude's and two Abita Amber, continued to cook until internal 195-205 (depending on location). Pulled off and wrapped foil pan with brisket and juice, covered, and let sit three hours. Total cook time 9 hours plus 2 hours foiled in juices.

Turned out fork tender and super moist. Good smoke ring and pretty good bark (not soggy at all). The middle maybe quarter was drier and not as tender...not sure if it was the particular cut or if I pulled a little too soon. Overall very pleased, easily the best brisket I've ever done.

CPARKTX said:

Congrats!!! I know the feeling of getting it right after following everybody else's successes!!!! ^:)^
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • My dads name is Claude. I've always been tempted to try their sauce.

I'm glad yours turned out well.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CPARKTX
    @travisstrick - I really like Claude's, it worked well yesterday on the brisket, and I've used it for a long time to kick up veggies. I use the original (brisket).
  • Man that looks great !!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks great! I was going to say I hope you had leftovers so you could make chili, but then I saw your last pic. :) Outstanding cook!
  • OconeeDawg
    OconeeDawg Posts: 149
    What is the beef bouillon and Worcestershire ratio?

• CPARKTX
    @OnoneeDawg if I recall I used liquid (canned) buillion and added about a quarter cup of Worcheshire sauce. I was winging it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =D> Congrats, I've been wanting to try @travisstrick style, but don't want his head to get any bigger. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings