Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Steak Dinner

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Only in Texas can a cold front come through and drop the temperatures to the upper 80's, but that's what we had yesterday so we took advantage of it and grilled up a quick steak.

I hear that hibiscus aren't supposed to last through the winter (except for down in South Texas and warmer climes). Tell that to the one we've had for 3 years. It didn't make it through this past winter, so Mrs. G picked one up Sunday. Got our first bloom on it yesterday.

Ok, now onto that steak. Ribeye with Red Eye Express (that's what the Mrs asked for) cooked at 600F for 2 minutes, rotated and another 2 minutes, then flipped and cooked for another minute. Pulled it off, put in the AR and cooked it on the top level for about another 2 minutes.

Let the steak rest and cooked up some zukes

After about 10 minutes, I checked the steak. Overshot my mark. It was at 136.8, was aiming for 135. Close enough. ;)

Served it up with some mashed taters. Really hate those brown plates. Doesn't make the food look quite so appetizing and you really can't tell how pink the steak was, but it was done perfectly to Mrs. Gs standards and as a reward for all my work I got the bone side. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Very nice!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    For all your hard work you got the bone side??? Well, I guess we take what we can get  ;)

Looks great. Enjoy the cold weather while it lasts!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks great @Griffin
    Large BGE

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Damn that looks good! If you slice the squash long ways like that, why put it in the basket? When I slice that way I just through them on the grid. Just curious. :-?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Griffin
    Options

@TexanOfTheNorth everybody knows that the best part of a steak is right next to the bone. Trust me, I wasn't jipped out of any, I had plenty to eat.

@shtgunal3 didn't want to lose any to the grilling gods. I usually just throw them right on the grate, but I didn't want to have to be careful not to lose one. Its happened before a time or two while sipping a cold beverage.

Rowlett, Texas

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I understand the cold beverage and messing stuff up part.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2013
    Options
    @Griffin... I agree, the bone side is the best; as long as you're somewhere that you can pick it up and gnaw on it.

I guess it's a little early in the morning, however, for my wry sense of humor.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looking good!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Griffin
    Options
    Of course I gnawed on it @TexanOfTheNorth. ;) While my dogs looked on jealously with drool coming out of their mouths. Sorry suckas, that treat is for Daddy! :D

Rowlett, Texas

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

@Griffin said:

"Only in Texas can a cold front come through and drop the temperatures to the upper 80's"

Nope, SC too buddy. We were lucky we had a cold front that dropped it to 87 when I went to the beach.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    That's a nice looking steak
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hopefully you snagged some spinalis. That is the absolute best part of the cow.

I'm glad you are getting to enjoy some of the weather I have been all the time!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I love this cool weather Missippi here. @Griffin you rock but I have to say that steak rocks a bit more. Really nice job man. When you can hit within two degrees of target that is perfect.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    stainless steel makes some nice sear marks. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @griffin -  how do you ad the text for each picture?  
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    God I wish I lived closer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options

@GATABITES that was just using the regular old grate that came with the BGE. Come to think of it, my grates aren't even stainless steel, they are the old black porcelan (I think) coated ones. How do i add text for each picture? I type the whole think up, then go back and add a space/hit enter everywhere I want a picture, then click on the 4th icon from the right (looks like a picture frame) and enter the IMG code from photobucket. Does that make sense?

@Mickey you'd be welcome anytime.

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

The temp has been great the last few days, I cooked some K-bobs last night and sat outside till 9:30.

Weather looks like it will let us do the same tonight also.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Options
    Sweet! Maybe whatever chicken casserole dish we make From Sunday night's leftovers will be done on the Egg then. :D

Rowlett, Texas