Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boiled Peanuts (pix)

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

These are hands down my favorite summertime snack.  The only problem is that they're so dang addictive!  :)  I boiled up about 5 lbs worth yesterday...not in my BGE, but instead in my turkey cooker (hence the Off Topic category).  I got the salt to water ratio spot on....  I put almost 2 cups of Kosher Salt in the pot along with almost a half pot of water.  I also added a little bit of boiling water a couple times into the cook to compensate for evaporation.  Boiled them for about 4 hours and then let them rest in the salty water off the burner for a couple more hours.  Turned out some of my best boiled peanuts to date.  :)  Can't wait to snack on these while I wait for my ribs to smoke up on the 4th of July.  :)  That is IF they make it 'til Thursday.  ;)

Had to take the cooker to my garage for the cook since it was pouring down outside.

I loooove the smell of boiled peanuts cooking away.  Nothing like it.

I know some of you out there can't stand boiled peanuts, but this SC country boy likes 'em.  ;)  Haters gonna hate and potatoes gonna po-tate.  ;)

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Love them. Making a big batch on Thursday!! Where did you but the peanuts?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I've never had boiled peanuts. Do you buy them raw? Are they soggy when you eat them? Do you still roast them afterwards?
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Chubbs
    Yes buy them raw or "green" no roasting just boil. They are firm enough to come out of the shell in tact, but soft when you eat them. Of course, you take them out of the shell!
  • Dyal_SC

@Chubbs, I got these at the BiLo in West Columbia.  They are currently $1.99 per pound.  Not the cheapest I've seen them, but not the most expensive either.

@BREWnQ, yup, you buy them raw.  I can't really explain the texture.  Growing up, I never knew others around the country never heard of them.  They are salty, juicy and soft.  I wouldn't necessarily call them "soggy", but others who don't like them would probably disagree with me.  :)  You don't roast them afterwards.  You eat them soft. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I love to toss some Cajun seasoning, Crab boil and jalapeno peppers in there to spice it up a bit. I had it the first time when I visited the mountains in Helen, GA and have been hooked ever since.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    How long are they good for after you fix them?
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I love boiled peanuts and +1 on the cajun season, I may do some for the 4th thanks for the inspiration.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Boiled peanuts are about the only southern cuisine that I haven't gotten into, but there's a very good chance that I haven't had them done right.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Nice- love some boiled peanuts from the shacks off the sides of the highway down east NC
    Greensboro, NC
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I am from florida and when I moved to Baltimore - no one knew what boiled peanuts were. I haven't eaten them in a couple of years. I get them when I go home. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • I want to try making a pound in a slow-cooker. The hard part is finding raw peanuts in Austin, TX.
    Gittin' there...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That is too cool @Dyal_SC. I've gotta say that I've never had them before. Saw Zimmerman eating them last night on Bizarre Foods America (it was the SC show). I'd give them a try for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Either I just haven't had them done right or it just isn't for me. My only experience with boiled peanuts was several years ago but all I remember of it was that I didn't care for it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    @Fealess... You might try someplace like Whole Foods or a health food store, you will pay a premium at either but they should have raw peanuts.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Chubbs

Either I just haven't had them done right or it just isn't for me. My only experience with boiled peanuts was several years ago but all I remember of it was that I didn't care for it.

Give them a try again. If done properly they are a great snack. And good for you too.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Had them last year on the way down to Naples for a family vacation.   I won't be eating them again :)  
    Large BGE

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I love boiled peanuts and the mention of bi-lo makes me wish I was back in Columbia. Lived there for 13 years. Go Cocks!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

My wife wanted me to make sure everyone knew it's not BOY-led peanuts.  Apparently it's pronounced BOLD peanuts.  Or BOWLED peanuts.

They taste good, but it's definitely a strange consistency.  Don't expect a crunch.  It's more of a peanut mush.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Love Boiled peanuts. I have made them a few times and when I go to Florida they sometimes have them at roadside stands.

I have seen them here in Texas sometimes at the store in a can.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Peas,Peas,Peas, Eat'n Goober Peas.

SaltySam said:

My wife wanted me to make sure everyone knew it's not BOY-led peanuts.  Apparently it's pronounced BOLD peanuts.  Or BOWLED peanuts.

They taste good, but it's definitely a strange consistency.  Don't expect a crunch.  It's more of a peanut mush.

Them's BALD Peanuts !
    Pensacola,FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Thanks again Dyal, just went to H-Mart and got 4 lbs of green peanuts and started the turkey fryer. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    The country folk members of my family call them "bald peanuts" too. :)@BREWnQ, they are good for a few days at least, but they also freeze well after boiling too.
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    I learned to love them when I was stationed in Charleston and now I make them at home in NY.
  • mark11 said:
    I learned to love them when I was stationed in Charleston and now I make them at home in NY.

Same here! From some guy with a little trailer just west of the base on Dorchester Rd. I thought they tasted a lot like cooked pinto beans at a time when I was very alergic to legumes.

I sure am glad that alergy went away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I still wonder what was up with that...

Gittin' there...