Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear?

Options
So I nearly burnt my hands off yesterday when searing some pork chops at 550 or so.Do you guys sear with the dome up or down. I believe there is less flaring with the lit down right?
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• GoldfishDude
    Options
    I use long tongs and welders gloves so that I don't burn my hands.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I go lid down so it isn't a wall of flame. But plus 1 on the long tongs
    Greensboro, NC
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    I've done two reverse seers so far. (Both of which I overcooked.) I haven't really felt the heat that much. I use pretty long tongs but no gloves. I find that I can't really get a good grip on the tongs with the gloves. I believe in a good set of tongs. I've found that if I can't get a good quick grip on what I'm trying to flip I spend too much time in the heat.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I sear dome down. In an effort not to overcook the meat I usually go with Trex. Once you get a good sear then you can slowly watch the temp climb during the roast. To each his own, but I have better results this way.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very few cooks involve dome up, most of them you should keep the lid down or your fire will grow out of control (major exception being wokking). Sometimes, I'll leave the lid up the last minute or two of a cook when its almost done and I want the fire to grow and give it a little extra char and maybe on shrimp, but that's about it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Very few cooks involve dome up, most of them you should keep the lid down or your fire will grow out of control (major exception being wokking). Sometimes, I'll leave the lid up the last minute or two of a cook when its almost done and I want the fire to grow and give it a little extra char and maybe on shrimp, but that's about it.
    +1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Generally agree with Griffin but, on when I've done reverse sear, I left the dome up to crank the heat for the sear.  Usually use gloves with spatula or tongs.   
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I use a spider and reverse sear method, spider sits close to lump with 13" CI grid on the fire ring and heats while the steak is roasting indirect near 450.  I also have a PSwoo2, so it is really easy to lift main grid and platesetter out then drop the steak on the now super hot 13"CI grid on the spider, 30-60 sec's per side and done.  No need to raise the temp at all.  Lid open whole time during sear.  No flareups to speak of that way.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN