Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Eva First Pizza

Options
Been busy with kitchen renovations so I haven't been egging that much. I couldn't wait to get back to it and make our first pizza on the egg. I've done a few low temp cooks to cure the gasket so I was ready to a 500* - 600* dome temp. I set up my PSWoo3 with the Plate Setter feet down. I put the pizza stone on top of the ss grid which is at felt level with the Woo. That leaves about a 1/2" air gap between the stone and plate setter. I stabilized the egg at 550 with the stone in the egg for the warm up and stabilization period (about 45 minutes). The dough was from our favoite Italian Deli. For the toppings we used a pesto from a local farm which the farmer calls "Besto Pesto". Added fresh Buffalo Mozzarella and grape tomatoes (too many). It was in the egg for about 10 minutes which was longer than I expected from some of the posts and videos that I reviewed. I came out great. The crust was done just right and the hint of smoke that the cheese and crust picked up made it so delicious. We make a home made pizza on a regular basis but this one was far and away the best we've ever done.

Before

After

Comments

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have a yellow grape tomato bush in the yard. Good stuff.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'll take two
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Nice pizza BrotherEgg.  After much trial and error (and some serious flops when it comes to pizza), I've found my happy zone to be 550* for 10 minutes as well.  Easier to get to and maintain than the 600-700* range I was trying and really seems to be consistently good. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    Thanks guys. From reading all of the pizza posts it looked to me like the 550 to 600 range worked best.

One thing I had to do was remove my grid extender to get the pizza stone centered. Has anyone else found a work around? Not a big deal but I didn't think that one through before I installed it.

Chubs, those yellow grape tomatoes are supposed to be low acid. I like them a lot and considering the punishment I've done to my tummy over the years I'm sure it's welcome.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Green and gold caprese, nice.
    MBGE in Charleston

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Nice looking pizza and love the topping combo. We had a yellow grape tomato bush, but it seems to be done producing for the year already.

As far as temps and time go, that's gonna vary depending on the type of dough you use. Some work better at 450 for longer, some at 500 and some way past that. Depends on the recipe, but it looks like for the dough you got from your Italian Deli, it was spot on. Good job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings