Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Challenger cart

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    the dea;er reccommended to use the BGE table cover..... IDK
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Here's mine :D
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • GATABITES
    @alton - Do you have a cover for your cart? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Nope, but thinking about getting one.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Shows you the mark up they get, they have to get for less than what mfg is charging.

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited July 2013
    Tspud1 said:

Shows you the mark up they get, they have to get for less than what mfg is charging.

Definitely true ad you can't fault the dealer for making money. My situation is a little different considering that my dealer really dropped the ball. They actually lost my order before it was sent to Challenger so it cost me a month of waiting time. I got so frustrated that I called up Challenger myself to ask why my grill cart was taking so long to be built and shipped. They said they had no order. I contacted my dealer and they said it takes time for them to submit an order. Basically trying to cover up the fact that they lost it. A month processing time by the dealer is a poor excuse for screwing up to say the least. I still had to go through them to get the cart so I just had to let their screw up go. However, I wasn't about to give them more business by buying the cover through the dealer.

I'd give calling Challenger direct a shot and see if you can order it directly from them. They may be willing to give you it at cost. They were great to me.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    It is worth the call to Challenger. They will sell direct. I don't know if they will only do that if there is no dealer close. Living in Canada there is nothing available up here. I was going to order it today but I sent an email to the gentleman I was conversing with and he is on holidays this week.
    I have debated whether it not to post my quoted price so as not to piss anyone or dealers off. I hope my above statement about the proximity of dealers is correct. Just trying to save some fellow eggers some $$$.
    My price is $873 for standard colours. $960 for premium. $162 for the Aqualon cover.
    I was also quoted $150 for shipping.

Don't kill the messenger.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Got a sewing machine?  We do.  We bought enough outdoor fabric to make a cover - our table is 7' wide.  Bridget whipped it out in 45 minutes.  Cost: $50.  Heavy duty fabric.  Cover weighs around 15 pounds.

I wish I had a sewing machine or a wife that knew what a needle and thread was. If I had the resources I would do that as well.

I could buy a $500 machine to sew my $50 cover!!!!!! LOL.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    45 minutes @nolaegghead? How many pairs of pants do you wear at one time?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

I can sew....in a pinch.  But in this case, all credit goes to SWMBO.  She'll sew up a cover in one minute and crack granny's ribs via CPR in the next.  5 foot 12 and the youngest of 8 makes you a formidable power.

I can sew....in a pinch.  But in this case, all credit goes to SWMBO.  She'll sew up a cover in one minute and crack granny's ribs via CPR in the next.  5 foot 12 and the youngest of 8 makes you a formidable power.

I have full faith in SWMBO ability. I'm more worried about your deficiencies in having it take 45 minutes "to whip it out".
  • GATABITES
    Dayum, 45 mins is pretty quick. My mom can sew but she is on Florida. I have to tough it out for a while regarding the cover. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • hondabbq
    Well, took the plunge this morning and ordered up my Grill Cart and Aqualon cover. Cant wait.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    hondabbq said:

I wish I had a sewing machine or a wife that knew what a needle and thread was. If I had the resources I would do that as well.

$500 for a sewing machine is dirt cheap. A good one can cost more than the XXL

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GATABITES
    @hondabbq - you wont regret it. It has been raining a lot here lately and my lump, wood chunks etc stay dry. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq said:

$500 for a sewing machine is dirt cheap. A good one can cost more than the XXL
    That comment makes my point even more for me.
  • Tspud1
    hondabbq said:
    It is worth the call to Challenger. They will sell direct. I don't know if they will only do that if there is no dealer close. Living in Canada there is nothing available up here. I was going to order it today but I sent an email to the gentleman I was conversing with and he is on holidays this week. I have debated whether it not to post my quoted price so as not to piss anyone or dealers off. I hope my above statement about the proximity of dealers is correct. Just trying to save some fellow eggers some $$$. My price is $873 for standard colours. $960 for premium. $162 for the Aqualon cover. I was also quoted $150 for shipping. Don't kill the messenger.
    Now some of you others that have bought a Challenger table from a dealer need to compare this price plus shipping to what you paid. Mud Pig paid around $200 for cover from mfg yet Canada gets his for $162. Kind of all over on the pricing.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    I am sooo jealeous, I think the Old Lady would kill me after just purchasing my 1st egg, some day though!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • hondabbq
    Tspud1 said:
    hondabbq said:
    It is worth the call to Challenger. They will sell direct. I don't know if they will only do that if there is no dealer close. Living in Canada there is nothing available up here. I was going to order it today but I sent an email to the gentleman I was conversing with and he is on holidays this week. I have debated whether it not to post my quoted price so as not to piss anyone or dealers off. I hope my above statement about the proximity of dealers is correct. Just trying to save some fellow eggers some $$$. My price is $873 for standard colours. $960 for premium. $162 for the Aqualon cover. I was also quoted $150 for shipping. Don't kill the messenger.
    Now some of you others that have bought a Challenger table from a dealer need to compare this price plus shipping to what you paid. Mud Pig paid around $200 for cover from mfg yet Canada gets his for $162. Kind of all over on the pricing.

I put the disclaimer as to possibly why.

It might be that I am buying the cart direct as well and not from a dealer.

This business approach might bite them in the ass later.

• GATABITES
    @tspud1 - I got a great deal on my cart. I am satisfied on the price and performance of the cart as it suits all my outdoor cooking needs. Now the cover, I am a bit concerned about pricing as you have indicated. This is why I wont purchase. I dont think there is enough demand for it; which is why you see the price discrepancy. i will make do. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Tspud1
    If you feel like you got a good deal then you did.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited July 2013
    In my opinion the cover isn't really necessary if your cart is in a location where it doesn't get blasted by the sun. Water doesn't really hurt the cart given the materials it was built from. I have my XL Challenger Cart in a location where it gets at least 10 hours of sun a day. That's why I opted for the cover. The sun may not hurt the cart in the short term but like a car it will eventually sun bake the finish and lead to issues. It's nice to keep the snow off the cart as well in the winter.

It's a great product and its good to see more eggers picking up Challengers carts.
  • hondabbq
    edited July 2013

My egg in my back deck get about the same volume of sun. Hence the reason for my purchase as well. If I am paying 1k for a cart, $1200 for an egg, $160 is a small investment to keep both in great shape.

I guess Ill have to sell my BGE egg cover when the new one comes. Not overly worried as he threw it in on the deal.

• grillman16
    grillman16 Posts: 42
    Do the carts come with the 'hole' for the BGE on the RIGHT side rather than left? I'm thinking they can be custom built with the order?  Any feedback appreciated.
  • Tspud1
    Saw a couple of reversed but not in the Challenger table.
  • GATABITES
    @grillman16 - I dont know if they come reversed. I know the challenger can be customized ie colors and table top types etc. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • hondabbq

Finally ordered my Cabinet. 2 weeks to build and ship. Then drive to pick it up at the Parcel Service at the border.

They tried to charge me Indiana state tax. No taxes if shipped out of state. I had to do some digging for them to agree to it. Went all the way to the Indiana Department of Revenue.

• Tspud1
    What's it going to cost you to take it into Canada?
  • GATABITES
    edited July 2013
    @HONDABBQ - you better post pics man. LOL

What color scheme did you choose? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD