Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super turbo ribs?

Options
Put on 2 racks st.louis ribs at 300 dome temp. After 2 hours internal temp 200 and they bend fully in half. Is this normal?
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

Micky does ribs at 350 for 1 hr 40 minutes then sauces them for 20 minutes - so what you are describing seems within the realm of possibility.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    300 dome is about 260 grate .. 2 hours is aggressive, but when they are done - they are done.  if you are sure they are done - check the calibration on that thermo.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sounds like the norm to me
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    300 dome should be higher at the grate, maybe 325.. and your dome thermo can be off.  This is a believable time.  If it passes bend & toothpick - it's time to eat!

Mickey's turbo repaste below.. I'll save his paste button..

Mickey said:

This is the way I do them:

Turbo Baby Back Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub

Its not unheard of from @Dave_in_Florida either..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When cooking indirect, the dome is usually hotter than the grate - at least for the first hour or two.  Check your thermometer calibration.
    Options
    I cook mine at 850 for 17 min... Supersonic ribs.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN