Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT- Dungeness Crab season opens Monday

doubledouble Posts: 1,214
Not a huge amount of time to egg this weekend, crab season opens on Monday so have to get everything ready on the boat. SWMBO just shakes her head and says isn't it cheaper to just buy the crab... Much like fishing it's just not the point :-)

Lynnwood WA
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,044
    Well, she isn't wrong... You don't get drunk and go to the grocery store. Beer adds up.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,470
    This is a time eagerly awaited here.  70 miles inland from the ocean; crab gets here very fresh!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,694
    Yep, SWMBO is right. No longer have the boat, but here in the northwest, you have to at least try it. nothing like being out on the salt chuck. 
    I figured that given the cost of the boat, maintenance, fuel and other costs, the salmon and other fish/crabs we caught were only about $4000 a pound. But it's the memories that count, right?
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • TFolsTFols Posts: 196
    @double you ever cook them on the egg?
    Bloomfield, NJ
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Yep
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • TFolsTFols Posts: 196
    Unfortunately living on the right hand coast I have not come across them fresh but I do enjoy them. My local Costco sells them flash frozen. I'll have to give them a shot on the egg. Any particular way to cook them?
    Bloomfield, NJ
    ·
    Frozen crab hmm.

I normally boil for 3 mins split open and clean then grill for a couple of minutes.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 920
    edited June 2013
    I don't think we get many dungeons crabs this far south, but spiny lobster season is fantastic!

I'm glad you guys like heading out to get the darn things. No ocean for this guy...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • tyenic1tyenic1 Posts: 149
    Any chance you could ship some to Nebraska? [-O<
    ·
    @skiddymarker, where in the Northwest?
    ·
    edited June 2013
    @jaydub58, Delta BC. 70 miles in land, are you in Wenatchee, Bend? 
    ·

Born in Portland, raised in Bend, been in Eugene since '67.

A true Oregonian!

What I have seen of BC, it's a truly beautiful part of the world, also.

·
    jaydub58 said:

Born in Portland, raised in Bend, been in Eugene since '67.

A true Oregonian!

What I have seen of BC, it's a truly beautiful part of the world, also.

They, Oregon, Washington and BC, are all very similar. That's why to the rest of the country TV series like Grimm (set in Portland) and The Killing (set in Seattle) are often shot in BC. I often refer to our area as Cascadia.... 
    ·
    Well 4 crab not great but dinner will be good:-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·