Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoke question

Options
i know when lighting the egg, we wait until the smoke runs clear. What is the rule regarding large wood chunks? ie.apple.hickory, cherry etc..
When I first put them on, I get a heavy white smoke for 30 mins or more, then very little smoke. At what point do you put your food on the egg?
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    when it smells good, it's ready to go
    Options
    i dont really notice an issue with woods, fast cooks i toss in quickly burning chips or pellets, long cooks i toss in chunks and sometimes bark. i do wait for lump to be burning nicely though. my smoking woods are dry and seasoned, not green though some do use green wood
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    You don't want heavy white smoke chugging out of your egg when you put your food on.  This leads to an over smoked or bitter product.  Wait until there is just a whisper of white smoke or none at all.  A common misconception is that if there is no visible smoke, then your food will not get the desired smoke flavor.  Trust me, if you put a chunk of wood and after several minutes the white smoke disappears, your food will still get a good smoke flavor profile from that clean burning wood.  Try it and see if you agree.

Living Large and XL